Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

Default Does Ruger have any warranty?

I have heard that a number of gun manufacturing companies have lifetime warranties on their products, but I could not find information about Ruger. I found a manual online and it looked as if they have no warranties on their products. Does Smith & Wesson have a lifetime warranty?

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Does Ruger have any warranty?

My father in law actually had a site break on his ruger (im not sure which gun it was) He called ruger and they sent one in the mail no charge. It wasnt a new gun either about a year old

(Northampton County)

According to Ruger, [I][I]The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a full warranty. Sturm,Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full, rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson - Moss Act and the regulation issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of comsumer goods.As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger and Company wishes to assure its customers of it's continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.

That being said, my take is that with all the "gobble-d-gook" each state would require to make Ruger (or any gun maker) comply, it's alot simpler to say "let's just take care of the customer outright".
    My experience with customer service @ Ruger has been fully satisfactory. Once they even replaced a pistol just to make me happy.

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

No warranty, but great customer service. Almost as if it's a warranty. But it's not.

(Delaware County)

If it breaks or does not function properly Ruger will make you a happy customer. Their "warranty" is just plain old fashioned customer service. Call their customer service number and speak with them in a professional manner and they will do the same to you and do whatever it takes to correct your problem. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the solution ask to speak with the customer service manager.

Good luck.

Thanks for all your responses. I bought a S&W 686 today, and since I am now broke again this point is now moot. Thanks again though, I appreciate all your help everyone.

(Delaware County)

Check your weapon. Ruger has a habit of stamping any and all information on the weapon itself.

I once saw one that looked like the side of the barrel had been custom engraved. It was just a warning not to shoot yourself and a list of patents that were pending.

I find it kinda' strange that with manufacturers like Taurus offering lifetime warranty's on all their guns that a company like Ruger has nothing. I didn't even get an instruction manual with my new Vaquero. I had to download it from the internet. Love the gun but it is strange.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by okieco View Post
    I find it kinda' strange that with manufacturers like Taurus offering lifetime warranty's on all their guns that a company like Ruger has nothing. I didn't even get an instruction manual with my new Vaquero. I had to download it from the internet. Love the gun but it is strange.
    Some of that has to do with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (I know it's Wikipedia, but we're not talking dissertations here). It is far easier for them to just say, "No warranty," then take care of their customers properly than to express a warranty and have to worry about maintaining compliance with the variety of laws across the numerous jurisdictions in which they operate.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by okieco View Post
    First off major thread necro there bud. Secondly as I understand it Ruger does their "warranty" and barrel billboard this way due to state laws (or at least their interpretation of them) and a lawsuit.

from their own site
    The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.
    Regardless of their reasoning they are generally rated high for customer service.
    Last edited by ryan92084; September 26th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.