Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Shooting with nearsightedness

I was diagnosed with nearsightedness last winter and got some glasses and contacts. Problem is, it kind of screws me for shooting as I'm sure some of you might know.

It's simple really...shooting with glasses/contacts, sights on gun are blurry. Shooting without, target is blurry.

Hopefully some of you near sighted folks out there have some recommendations?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Shooting with nearsightedness

If your glasses are the proper prescription for your level of nearsightedness then the sights shouldn't be blurry. If this is your first time getting glasses, it's very easy to not do the "better or worse" test properly when they're trying to determine your prescription.

I've been wearing glasses since 4th grade, been through the tests many times over and you learn to spend some time with each flip to determine that what you're seeing is truly "better or worse". You'd experience the same thing with contacts since they'd be made to the same prescription as your glasses.

If you were fine when you first started shooting with your eye wear and now the it's worse, then that means your prescription changed and you'll need new lenses.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lackawanna County)

I have worn glasses since sixth grade. I don't understand your problem.

If you were discussing binoculars, I'd get it...either hold them to your glasses which can be challenging to sight through, or adjust their focus to your nearsightedness.

However, with gun scopes, your eye is nowhere near the scope, so I don't understand your problem. Why would you shoot without your glasses?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    I have worn glasses since sixth grade. I don't understand your problem.

If you were discussing binoculars, I'd get it...either hold them to your glasses which can be challenging to sight through, or adjust their focus to your nearsightedness.

However, with gun scopes, your eye is nowhere near the scope, so I don't understand your problem. Why would you shoot without your glasses?
    I was thinking about optics, more of pistol sights. When I'm doing binoculars, I always flip my glasses up and adjust accordingly. But when I'm using my rifle scopes, I don't do anything, just wear my glasses normally. I'm sticking by that his prescription isn't correct.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

I too have vision challenges (mature eyes). Discuss it with your Optometrist. I have a prescription for glasses that enable me to focus on the front sight and work great. When I explained what I was seeking my Optometrist asked if I had brought my gun (I came from work and was not carrying) and proceeded to ask where I wanted the focus to be and we discussed my needs. Turns out he is an avid shooter and understands our vision needs.

I use the "sport" prescription for target shooting, sighting in, general range work. When I practice with my carry weapon I switch to my normal distance prescription since that is what I would typically be wearing in a defensive situation. My normal prescription isn't too far off the sport, the front sight focus just isn't as crisp.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I was thinking about optics, more of pistol sights. When I'm doing binoculars, I always flip my glasses up and adjust accordingly. But when I'm using my rifle scopes, I don't do anything, just wear my glasses normally. I'm sticking by that his prescription isn't correct.
    I tend to agree with you.

That "better or worse" test is important in the fine tuning of the focusing of a lens prescription...exactly the prescription adjustment necessary for focusing a crosshair on a target or aligning gun sights.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by skeelo View Post
    I was diagnosed with nearsightedness last winter and got some glasses and contacts. Problem is, it kind of screws me for shooting as I'm sure some of you might know.

It's simple really...shooting with glasses/contacts, sights on gun are blurry. Shooting without, target is blurry.

Hopefully some of you near sighted folks out there have some recommendations?
    Iron sights or scopes?
    Pistol or rifle?
    How old are you?
    Toujours prêt

(Delaware County)

I have worn glasses (and, occasionally, contacts) since I was 6, originally for double vision, but for increasing nearsightedness (myopia) over time. Farsightedness (presbyopia) tends to set in as people reach their 40's and their lenses lose the elasticity to adjust to close-up viewing. Being VERY myopic (20/400 in my GOOD eye) without my glasses, I am fortunate to have amazing distance vision (20/13) with them - which helped hitting every 300-meter target with my M-16 for over 8 years, and better than 60% shooting at 600 meters when I was still a relatively new (3 years) shooter.

Now that I have passed that early-40s age where presbyopia sets in I have noticed some difficulties focusing within arm's reach while wearing my glasses - but can't focus well outside about 15" without them. This is why bi-focals are made, but I am stubborn. Fortunately, the sights on my 1911 are just beyond arm's length, so I'm not having any shooting problems right now.