Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Choosing a .243

(Beaver County)

Default Choosing a .243

I've been trying to decide on a rifle for 2011 deer season and can't seem to make up my mind. I did narrow the caliber down to .243. I have an '06 and a 270 and frankly don't feel inclined to be beat up by my rifle shooting a critter that you can knock down with a slingshot and some angry words.

Anyway I really like the Savage models with the accutrigger, especially the look of the camo ones. Retail on those is ~$800. Then I found the Marlin X7... which apparently has a stolen accutrigger and generally seems like a nice gun AND it is sub $350. That's hard to ignore.

Anyone have one of these guns? Thoughts on the two? I've done a bit of reading on both, and haven't heard any negatives so far.

Thanks.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Choosing a .243

I do not know anything about the Marlin. My daughter has a youth model savage in 243pre accu trigger. The rifle is extremely accurate and well balanced. One thing i do not like is the narrow tang safety. I love a tang safety being left handed but the one on her rifle is rather stiff and is very narrow. In cold weather and with a glove on it seems very difficult to operate. Savage may have corrected this. The rifle seems to like any ammunition you feed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    I've been trying to decide on a rifle for 2011 deer season and can't seem to make up my mind. I did narrow the caliber down to .243. I have an '06 and a 270 and frankly don't feel inclined to be beat up by my rifle shooting a critter that you can knock down with a slingshot and some angry words.

Anyway I really like the Savage models with the accutrigger, especially the look of the camo ones. Retail on those is ~$800. Then I found the Marlin X7... which apparently has a stolen accutrigger and generally seems like a nice gun AND it is sub $350. That's hard to ignore.

Anyone have one of these guns? Thoughts on the two? I've done a bit of reading on both, and haven't heard any negatives so far.

Thanks.
    I think it's a great caliber that you've chosen, and will definitely be enough for a deer. Savage models with the accutrigger retailing for $800 or so are WAY overpriced. You need to stop shopping at the big shops and go to some smaller "mom & pop" gunstores. Savage rifles used to be so underrated that they were VERY cheap. As they grown in popularity, the prices seem to keep going up just a little bit at a time. Which Savage has improved the stocks, designs, added a detachable magazine, etc, but it's driving the prices up.

The Marlin rifles are nice, and I've commented on them in a couple of threads. If you want the Savage, you might also consider the Savage "Axis" rifles. They'll be more in the price range you're looking for, and from what I've heard seem to also be nice rifles. The Axis rifles used to be called the "Edge" rifles, but had to change their name because of some sort of problem with someone else owning the name. Here's a little something I said in one thread about the Marlin rifles, if you're interested. The last link is a little something that I've read heard, and can piece together from reviews of the Savage Edge/Axis rifles, in case you decide to consider one of them also. I hope that these links help you a bit. I've tried to present the features honest and unbiased. Please feel free to ask any other questions or if you need any elaboration on some of those posts.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/118...ml#post1415125 <<Post about Marlin and Savage Edge/Axis

http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/54...tml#post676352 <<little bit in the middle about Marlin XL7 rifle.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/112...ml#post1344567 <<Savage Edge/Axis

(Somerset County)

Buy the Marlin. I have one in 30-06 and its the most accurate rifle I own and its light. Its a joy to carry around and in 243 it should be good. I love not having to worry about scratching it up either, Heck I paid $250 for mine used but unfired. I think these are great guns.

(Lawrence County)

Mine is a Savage 110 pre-accutrigger in .243 and I love the way it shoots... It has a bi-pod and a Tasco 6-24x42 target/varmint scope on Leupold rings and Leupold base... Pretty fun gun I must say...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tom, your sister is cute, you should buy her a beer for me... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Erie County)

I have a savage 200 for less than$300. Great shooter. You might want to get the sling-shot and spend the extra $$ on good glass.

(Erie County)

What are your 30.06 and 270. I have a new in box Ruger Hawkeye 243, maybe we could work a deal. PM me.

You can pick up a brand new savage Axis for $300 including the Bushnell scope. It doesn't have the accu-trigger that its more expensive brothers do, but they are still scary accurate for the money.

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/...%2BJDyOLrQE%3D
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Tioga County)

If you decide on a Savage Axis/Edge I strongly suggest that you handle on e first. I owned one for about 6 months and just couldn't get over the cheap feel that I got from the rifle. Yes they are very accurate but when you squeeze the forearm and barrel together you can do so with very little effort. Thsi in my opinon foregoes using a bipod. If you want to change the stock that is a no go as the recoil lug stays in the stock not with the rifle as with most other rifles. The part that helps hold the magazine in the rifle is made of plastic and didn't feel like that would last for the years that I plan on owning a rifle.

(Tioga County)

sorry for the double post. Monitors please delete one.