Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default New gun purchase

I am torn between a glock 19 gen 3, a Beretta PX4 Storm, a S&W M&P, and Sig P226, and a Beretta 92FS. All in 9mm of course, right now I am really leaning towards the sig cause I love sigs but any input would be greatly appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New gun purchase

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaL450 View Post
    I am torn between a glock 19 gen 3, a Beretta PX4 Storm, a S&W M&P, and Sig P226, and a Beretta 92FS. All in 9mm of course, right now I am really leaning towards the sig cause I love sigs but any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Take this for what it's worth, as it's just my opinion, based on my experience(s):

No one can debate that it's hard to go wrong with the G19 (good choice going w/a Gen 3 BTW). Having had one, and later getting a G17, I find the G17 to be a much better shooter in my hands. Though it's not dramatically larger, I found a world of difference shooting it, in terms of ease of accuracy.

All of the other choices are also good guns. I've had a PX4 Storm, an M&P, and a Sig P226. Ergonomically speaking, the PX4 Storm and M&P just didn't feel good to me over the long haul. I have large hands (not sure that should even be a factor), but though there may be no real reason I can nail down, they just didn't feel good.

I want to like SIG pistols, and I've had quite a few (a P226 among them), but when I compared it to my G17, I realized it didn't do anything better than the Glock (though it is prettier). I opted to trade it for something I can't even recall now.

I never had a Beretta 92FS, so I can't comment on that.

For my money, in my hands, considering durability, ease of shooting, and most importantly, reliability (ending up with a gun I'd trust my life with, right out of the box), I'd go with a Glock 19/17. Or, if not that, the SIG P226. I suspect you might be able to pick up a Glock for less, so that could be a factor as well.
    Last edited by marks; May 5th, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Lackawanna County)

All good guns, Everyone should own a G19. Its the hi cap 9mm to which all others are judged against. That said I would trust my life with the G19,p226 or the 92FS. I do not own the MP or storm so I cant give an honest answer to them.

(Bucks County)

What do you plan on doing with the gun? Is this for range use? Nightstand? Carry?...
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Montgomery County)

^^^Exactly^^^. Figure out your primary purpose or purposes.

I bought an M&P full size as my first handgun because I wanted something that felt comfortable to me, that I could shoot a lot for practice, and something I could keep in the nighstand for home defense. I've also used it for IDPA. But I don't carry it (not that you couldn't), but I found a couple of preferable options for that. I think figuring out what you want it for most is the key step.

That said, I love my M&P. The thing has proven flawless through almost 2,000 rounds -- not a SINGLE failure of any kind, with every conceivable type of ammo through it. You can easily find parts and tweak it yourself -- I had never worked on a gun before in my life an installed an APEX trigger kit and fiberoptic sights, neither of which was particuarly difficult or expensive.

(Bucks County)

Right now I think a good all around gun is the Springfield XDM 3.8 9mm compact. You have a gun that when you add the extenction you can shoot at the range or use in your nightstand a gun that holds 19+1. For carry I believe it is 12+1 and will be pretty easy to keep IWB holstered. The gun is very accurate and comes with a bunch of extra gear that makes it fun for a new shooter. They are priced not two different than the Glock or the M&P.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    All good guns, Everyone should own a G19. Its the hi cap 9mm to which all others are judged against. That said I would trust my life with the G19,p226 or the 92FS. I do not own the MP or storm so I cant give an honest answer to them.
    don't you mean "Assault Clip"

I am not a lawyer !!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jshwak View Post
    don't you mean "Assault Clip"

ROFLMAO "it's gots one dem bananas clip in dat"

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    What do you plan on doing with the gun? Is this for range use? Nightstand? Carry?...
    Sorry I forgot to say I want it for all around target shooting, night stand, carry, etc. Im leaning towards the p226 since if I ever wanted I could get the 22 conversion kit built by sig instead of an aftermarket company.

(Monroe County)

my first gun was an older P226. still have it. it was the first gun i carried. use a desantis 3 slot pancake holster OWB. its comfortable for a while, but after a good 8 hours the bulk of the gun and weight will be a factor for carry. dead reliable. ive personally put 10K thru the gun, plus whatever was done with it before i got it. i have the 22 conversion and it sure as hell saves me alot of money on ammo and for training muscle memory and trigger control and the likes its great. the only downside is it has to be greased up or lubed up really well to function with bulk pack ammo. it gets dirty really quick, and the slide does NOT lock back on the last shot.

that being said my new main CC gun is my M&P compact. great gun for CC duty with 12+1 in a relatively small package that fits my hand and will put a round where i want it to out to 30 yards no problem. dead reliable since ive gotten it and have put close to 4K rounds or more in it.

the G17 i dont own but have pretty good experiance with it. its a relatively light gun, has some muzzle flip until you figure out how to best get a grip on it. it too like the Sig is a full size gun and may be a bit bulky for everyday CC. but its manageable.

dont really like the looks of the storm. thats all i know about that gun

and of course the 92FS again is a big bulky duty gun. so CC may be awkward but possible.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast