Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default S&W 686 Cylinder Size Question

I wondered about the 6 shot versus the 7 shot 686 S&W 357 revolver and the cylinder differences.
    I was told previously just slightly bigger but at the NRA show i saw the cylinder looks to be the same size but drilled out more - less metal between each bullet slot. Actually it looks quite thin in between.

We were considering the 7 shot but now i am thinking the 6 shot looks more solid and less chance of the cylinder breaking down. Any thoughts on this?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: S&W 686 Cylinder Size Question

What you have to ask yourself is if one more round is that important. I am quite happy with my 6 shot 686.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Carbon County)

what he said, without looking i am going to have to think that there will be less steel in between, it only makes sense but i could be wrong. i will stick with my 6 shooter as well.

(Allegheny County)

Yes i saw both cylinders at the NRA show - there is less steel around each opening in the cylinder - i am questioning its strength vs the regular 6 shot cylinder. I read that 7 is actually stronger than 6. Not sure what to believe.

(Delaware County)

S&W offers the gun as a .357 magnum and they have been in production for years without problems. What sort of overloads do you intend to shoot that the thinner walls between the charge holes will be an issue?

(Montgomery County)

If Smith and Wesson produced it and rated it at the desired caliber, it is fine to use for that caliber. The amount of steel between each charge hole is not directly related to strength. In fact, the seven shot cylinder has an advantage over the six shot cylinder, cylinder stop placement! The cylinder stop is a notch milled into the cylinder used to lock the chamber in place. The seven shot cylinder has the cylinder stop notch between each chamber, the six shot cylinder has the notch cut right into the section where the chamber is thus thinning the wall of that section.

Semantics aside, Smith and Wesson would have removed the revolver from the market if it was failure prone. Heck, my 8 shot Smith and Wesson .357's have handled thousands of rounds without the slightest problem. (one has a titanium cylinder and the other is steel) You are worrying about a problem that has yet to be invented.

Smith and Wesson revolvers are made out of high strength materials. More "steel" does not equal more strength, as any engineer can tell you. I have confidence that the engineering department at Smith and Wesson properly designed and tested their product before bringing it to the market (the 7 shot cylinder on the L frame has been around for in excess of ten years).

I have a 7 shot L frame and I prefer it over the 6 shot cylinder. My reason is double action trigger stroke length. I really love my 8 shot N frames, but they are a bit big to carry (although not impossible). I shoot damn near all of my practice session double action only. The double action trigger stroke on the seven shooter is shorter, and much to my liking.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Thank you ! That is what i was looking for - some technical info. I would most likely be shooting 38s anyways as my hands are not strong. My hubby would probably be shooting 357s somewhat though. So we want one that can handle both without putting too much stress on it.

I have read that J frames which i have a 3" and a 2 1/8" are ok to shoot 357s from but not a steady diet of them... This is what started me thinking. I have no plans on shooting much 357s but do want to shoot some. I think it is the forcing cone though that is not made as durable as the k/L frame revolvers. I am pretty new to guns and technical stuff so that is why i ask.

Thanks again!

(Delaware County)

The L frame was created as a solution to forcing cone cracking on K frame .357 magnums. The bottom of K frame barrel stubs is ground flat to clear the yoke and that thin spot is where they crack. L frames don't have the flat.