Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Question State Game Lands & State Forests

My cousin and her husband lives in Fayette county near the State Game Lands #138 in the Chestnut Ridge mountains.

He said that he often just takes his quad back into the game lands or state forest and shoots rifles when its not rifle hunting season.

Now, he doesn't know much about law and is just a good country boy that wouldn't want to purposely cause any trouble.

So I was wondering, what are the rules in PA about shooting in those two areas?

He's been doing it since he was a kid and thinks it isnt illegal.
    And Im new to the state, but it seems like PA has some screwed up laws about shooting on public land.

Can anyone verify this?
    Thanks!
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Northampton County)

Default Re: State Game Lands & State Forests

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

That's where you can and cannot carry in the commonwealth, and the stipulations therein. As far as just going into the woods and cracking off a few rounds, unless its in a designated area, I don't think that's legal.

Then again, if a rifleman shoots in the forest, and nobody is there to hear him...

(Jefferson County)

I think the ATV's on Game Lands is certainly a violation unless it is an approved path or road.

I cant remember the details about the target shooting itself, but I think that if he isn't randomly shooting, nor shooting into live trees, and that there is a dead stump and/or protective natural backstop - he might be legal for target shooting.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Shooting is allowed only at designated ranges,or a private range constructed for that purpose. Shooting at random is illegal, carrying a rifle is evidence of hunting/poaching. and I am pretty sure riding a quad on state forest and gamelands is not a good idea as well. This REALLY pisses me off, guys destroy perfect hiking trails with their quads are a bunch of jerks. The trails are turned into mud pits, erode and create a puddle. Now they go Around the mud pit, making the mess eve bigger. Really, stay the out of the woods. Go destroy your own back yard or go to tower city or some private land where you have permission.

(Clinton County)

I would check out title 34 of the Game and Wildlife code. Chapter25 sub chapter A section 2510. It is the littering and restrictions on vehicle laws. It can be found on the PGC web site. But it does state driving a vehicle on private or public property without express permission from land owner or tenant is a violation. I did not find it but I also believe random shooting on game lands is a violation. They do define normal hunting as firing not more then 6 shots from 1 position.

(Washington County)

Quads are illegal on SGL's unless its on a handicapped trail and the person has a handicap permit.

No shooting at random on sgl's
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Fayette County)

I appreciate all the help.

Let me clear up a few things.

He doesnt go into the woods and just start "shooting at random"
    He says there's a large berm that a lot of people shoot at with their targets in front of the berm.

He doesn't take the quad on hiking trails.
    He only rides in on old logging roads that everyone uses and they are considered state roads and have numbers.
    The logging roads are open to the public all year round.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

SGL's are a no go for ATV's or target shooting unless an approved range, as pointed out.

ATV's on sf's is also a no go unless it an approved atv trail.
    IIRC target shooting within sf's is ok if it’s done safely. Not parks forests.

Of course I've seen all this countless times regardless.

Edit: see post 11
    Last edited by God's Country; May 4th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    IIRC target shooting within sf's is ok if it’s done safely. Not parks forests.

Is there a place where I can see the regulation saying that safe target shooting in State Forests is okay?

Ive looked but cant find anything.

I would like to sight in a few rifles, and it seems like all of the ranges here and around Pittsburgh are bullshit.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Is there a place where I can see the regulation saying that safe target shooting in State Forests is okay?

Ive looked but cant find anything.

I would like to sight in a few rifles, and it seems like all of the ranges here and around Pittsburgh are bullshit.
    You can look here but you won't like the answer:

017 Pa Code § 21.65. Target shooting.
    Target shooting with firearms, bows and arrows or devices capable of launching projectiles and causing injury to persons or property is prohibited except where authorized by the District Forester or a designee.
    IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast