Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Beretta 96 Questions??

Alright, so im in the market for my FIRST Semi-automatic pistol. Ive been doing lots of research and finally came to the conclusion that i like the Berettas the best. Reasons why i like:

-Stainless finish (Dosent show wear as bad as blued+ more resistant to rusting)
    -.40 Caliber (Easy to find, low cost, not as hard recoil as .45, more stopping power than 9mm, etc..)
    -Very nice looking gun (I mean seriously, it looks almost tooo nice to shoot)
    -Made in Italy (I know they are identical to the US ones but c'mon, if its stamped made in italy then it makes it that much better)
    -Fits nice in my big hands
    -Is used by LEO & Military all over the world (If its good enough for them then its definetely good enough for me, plus it replaced the militarys 1911 so it must be atleast decent)

My questions are, what are some of the variants of the 96 line? I know some have rails and what not, but is their any major difference? Also whats the difference between the 96 & the 96 Brigadier? ALSO MY MAIN QUESTION IS WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INOX AND STAINLESS? ive read that inox is an aluminum frame, is this true? If so then id probably go towards the stainless because the extra weight would help manage recoil. This gun would probably just be used for target shooting and possibly open carry every now and then. What would be a fair price for one New/Used? Also is it harder to find one thats all stainless parts? I dont like the look of a stainless gun with blued parts. PS for all you Glock Gods out there, dont worry im considering one of those for a future CCW gun. Thanks everyone!
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Blair County)

Default Re: Beretta 96 Questions??

From what I have read the major differences between the variants are mostly cosmetic. Most all newer generations of handguns have some type of rail. Personally I think the 96 looks great in stainless. Also from what I've read the INOX and stainless are the same thing. Most listings have it as 'INOX (Stainless)' If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me before too long.

Usually the Beretta's will run $600-$700.

I would also consider looking at a Beretta 92...9mm is also a very capable round and has more managable recoil than the .40. If you're concerned about ballistics for self defense you can always load it up with some 9mm +P. Just a suggestion.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Indiana County)

INOX is the French synonym for stainless steel and Italian for inoxidable.

There are probably at least 40 or 50 variations on the Beretta 92/96 series available with every combination of slide to frame mating out there. As far as I know, all INOX pistols have an aluminum frame. I think all standard models are aluminum, there are only a few special runs that are steel framed.

If you are thinking it may be a carry gun, try to find a Centurion model, they have a slightly shorter slide and barrel although I do not know if they were made in stainless.

I had a Beretta 92 Brigadier Inox that I used for USPSA until I moved up to a .45 for max power scoring reasons and that gun would shoot, the heavy Brigadier slide made recoil even with +P+ rounds very easy to shoot.

The only thing with a Beretta that I didn't like as far as a carry gun is that it is so easy for someone to strip the slide off with one hand. I know that that is more like a movie situation that it would ever happen, but I got pretty good at doing it and it always made me wonder if a professional criminal could do it just as easily.

If you are set on a .40, that's fine, but I would still consider the 92 series due to higher capacity, more magazine availabilty and the modern 9mm is no slouch when using +P+ self defense rounds.

The Beretta is a very nice pistol.

456 - One of my guns is this varaint It is a Beretta 96 Brigadier it has the heavy Brigadier slide and make recoil even with +P+ rounds very easy to shoot. It differs slight in that it does not have a safety mode after de-cocking it returns to the fire position, it has the 8 night sights.

The other 96 is a Centurion standard controls 3 dots sight.

The next 96 is a Centurion DAO no controls for safety or decocker just a slide release, 3 dot sights.

And then a standard 92sf in 9mm with 8 sight.

Yes i do like Beretta.
    Last edited by Neko456; May 4th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Just as a side note, the 96 series is not nearly as durable as the original 92. The .40 round really beats up the weapon. I've had some suffer structural failures before their first 3,000rnd service interval. Keep a strong recoil spring and change it out often to avoid severe frame battering, especially during extended use of higher power ammunition. The Brigadier models tend to handle the .40 better and have better long term durability.

I own a Beretta 96 A1, this is the new up graded model of the .40cal. I have also owned the 92 FS. they are both nice firearms to shoot. I shoot my 96 A1 at matches and it holds its own, so far i have about 1000+ rounds thru it without a single problem. No FTF or FTE. I also carry it sometimes, it is a little on the heavy side but not to bad. I like everything about it. JMO.
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by F16vipers View Post
    From what I have read the major differences between the variants are mostly cosmetic. Most all newer generations of handguns have some type of rail. Personally I think the 96 looks great in stainless. Also from what I've read the INOX and stainless are the same thing. Most listings have it as 'INOX (Stainless)' If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me before too long.

Usually the Beretta's will run $600-$700.

I would also consider looking at a Beretta 92...9mm is also a very capable round and has more managable recoil than the .40. If you're concerned about ballistics for self defense you can always load it up with some 9mm +P. Just a suggestion.
    Yes, INOX and Stainless are the same thing:

"Acero Inoxidable" means....Stainless Steel

....and by the way, does anybody has a complete 96 Italian slide (black, not Inox) for sale? I need one, let me know
    Last edited by TiAuAg4Me; October 15th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    PS for all you Glock Gods out there, dont worry im considering one of those for a future CCW gun. Thanks everyone!
    What about us HK and Sig gods?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lancaster County)

There are some frame differences as well. If you look at the middle pistol in my pic you will see the slanted dust cover while the other two have a straight one. The slanted one supposedly gives the frame more strength but to me does not look as clean as the others. The newer A1 versions have an accessory rail which is not a bad idea for a HD gun and still gives a nice clean look. If I were to buy another it would be a 92A1 which has a rounded trigger guard and more aggressive stippling. The top one has a Brigadier slide which you cant really notice in the pic. The shorter barrel has nothing to do with Brigadier btw, just the particular variant I picked up. What I would look out for most is that you dont inadvertently pick up a "D" model which is double action only ex. 96D. They are so sweet in single action it would be a shame to miss out. Good luck with your purchase and note that last time I was there Trop gun shop in Elizabethtown had two used inox 96s for around 450.
    Last edited by bripro; October 15th, 2011 at 04:24 PM.