Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wear from carry

(Wyoming County)

Default Wear from carry

Well I was talking to a friend of mine today and he was looking at my xdm (my daily carry) and he asked why it had so many marks/lines on it. He doesn't carry much and I told him that it was from wear. This led to my next question. Once in a while I wear pants with metal buttons, and it puts streaks into the finish. Does anyone have any recommended pants that are an all around good carry pant. I was looking online, but I would much rather have a primary reference. Some guns I like to carry and don't want to get mark up .

Thanks for your help!
    Jake
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Wear from carry

Yeah, I kinda have the same problem with the holster I use for my Sig.
    Its called a "Done Hume Jit Slide"
    Good holster, but it exposes the barrel a little bit.

Here is a pic:
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Wyoming County)

Yeah I have the same problem with my OC holster. My CC holster is covered all the way around. I could buy new holsters, but am looking at getting some pants that work also.
    here is my cc holster
    Last edited by shooker8; May 4th, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

(Fayette County)

I really cant see your holsters that well from teh pics.

But which holster is causing this wear?

Last weekend at the NRA convention, I saw some Fobus and Black hawk holsters that covered the entire barrel.

I have a discount code to get a Fobus holster for only $20.

So maybe I will order one.
    I really dont know much about Fobus's quality though.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Butler County)

Are you carrying at 12 o'clock? That's the only place my pants have a metal button. My Glock19 is all worn and scratched up. It gives it character.

(Centre County)

Holster wear, and wear in general, is sexy.

I have a JIT slide also. It fits right in between the belt loops of a pair of Dockers for a 4-4:30 hold and never slides around. Take your setup, whatever it is, to the mall and try on a few pairs of pants and !BAM! done.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Susquehanna County)

I don't understand the problem. Protecting your pistol from unneccessary wear is a good thing. But, you bought the pistol to carry and and use so don't worry about the holster wear marks or the minor scratches that might appear from rubbing against a button. By the way most metal buttons can be replaced with plastic or other material, just takes a little sewing. Likewise if you're really concerned about it touch up the bluing with a good cold blue.

Back in the day (so to speak) NYC cops had a choice of a S&W M&P revolver or Colt Police Positive revolver. The holster the PD used was of an odd design and you could tell the revolver of an officer who had done a lot of patrol work, there would be a spot of bluing worn off the frame right near the thumb latch because in order to draw the gun the officer had to stick his thumb in between the holster and frame. But, those wear marks did nothing to detract from the operability of the gun. So use it and maintain it properly, after all you didn't buy to use as a museum piece.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I don't understand the problem. Protecting your pistol from unneccessary wear is a good thing. But, you bought the pistol to carry and and use so don't worry about the holster wear marks or the minor scratches that might appear from rubbing against a button. By the way most metal buttons can be replaced with plastic or other material, just takes a little sewing. Likewise if you're really concerned about it touch up the bluing with a good cold blue.

Back in the day (so to speak) NYC cops had a choice of a S&W M&P revolver or Colt Police Positive revolver. The holster the PD used was of an odd design and you could tell the revolver of an officer who had done a lot of patrol work, there would be a spot of bluing worn off the frame right near the thumb latch because in order to draw the gun the officer had to stick his thumb in between the holster and frame. But, those wear marks did nothing to detract from the operability of the gun. So use it and maintain it properly, after all you didn't buy to use as a museum piece.

I dont know about the OP, but I was having problems withe copper rivets on my jeans.
    When I OC I carry at the 3'oclock.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I really dont know much about Fobus's quality though.
    I have a fobus ankle holster for a P3AT. I'm not overly impressed with the quality. It's not horrible by any stretch, but for $50 I expected more. The retention mechanism comes loose more often than I'd like, and I think the walls of the holster could be thinner to cut down on the bulkiness.

For $20 though, it might be worth the chance. And their non-ankle holsters may be a completely different quality.

Fobus Holsters, with the notable exception of the thumb lever holster, seem to suffer from fit issues. Either too tight or not tight enough. I am told, though this is not verifiable, that they have material strength issues too. The plastic on some holsters has been reported to break or warp. Once again, not verifiable, but disturbing none the less. Fobus' real value is mgazine pouches. I have many fobus magazine pouches, they work great, they are rugged and comfortable. I have forgotten that I have two extra G22 magazines all the time when wearing the paddle mounted mag pouches because they are comfortable to use.

The type of wear you describe is one of the reasons to either get a full coverage holster or get an IWB holster. Though if you have an older HK or Beretta, and the holster is leather, you'll notice that HK's finish may well be a 'hostile environment' finish, however it is most definitely not a 'holster environment' finish. Leather wears the finish of those guns very easily. I think the best solution to your problem is a full coverage holster and a suitable amount of presentations from said holster to get comfortable with it.
    Last edited by SCBaldr; May 4th, 2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast