Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: OK, Hi-Points, for real (and anonymous)

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never owned or fired one.

65 52.42%
  • I've heard the horror stories.

21 16.94%
  • I've had one blow up in my hand.

0 0%
  • A friend of a friend had one explode, killing and injuring dozens.

4 3.23%
  • I've had one that hiccuped, sent it back and it came back blueprinted w/ a free magazine to boot.

2 1.61%
  • I have one and it's a decent gun, whether or not I'll admit to owning one in public.

47 37.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Alright, Hi-Point

Any one that would be interested in trying the 45 carbine and live near me, just drop me a PM and I will let you try it. I think it is all kinda of fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    I recall shooting a Hi-Point 9mm pistol when I was still fairly new to shooting. Between my wife and I it literally jammed about every other round.

I believe it was a result of limp wristing the gun, since we were both fairly inexperienced shooters at the time. The owner of the gun had no problems running an entire mag through it without a malfunction.

Here's the thing though, I'd shot plenty of pistols at the time without experiencing those kind of problems. I'm not trying to excuse crappy technique, but there's no reason for a handgun to become so unreliable in less than ideal circumstances. Especially if you expect to use it in a defensive situation, you just might not be able to get a perfect grip.

On the subject of the carbine, I've recently been thinking about getting a pistol caliber carbine and have been weighing my options. The Hi-Point looks decent with the ATI stock, but I haven't actually shot one to have a firm opinion on the matter.

Even if it is just a glorified version of their pistol I wouldn't be using it for defensive purposes so absolute reliability is less of a concern, and firing from the shoulder should be less prone to the ejection problems.

Of course even for a fun range gun I wont' tolerate an unreliable piece of garbage, so I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. I might go with a Hi-Point carbine or KelTek Sub2000, or maybe spend the extra bit to get a (now discontinued) Ruger PC9 or Marlin Camp Carbine.
    Of the current crop, short of a top dollar AR 9mm, i would say that the Kel Tec Sub 2000 is your best bet, and probably your best bang for the buck too.

It doesn't shoot any better than a 995, but it does have a huge advantage in that it takes factory magazines from a variety of manufacturers, whereas the Hi Point 995 only uses proprietary 10rd or questionable 15rd mags. A 33rd highly reliable Glock mag vs a crappy 15rd aftermarket Pro mag...that's not much of a competition.

Plus the Kel Tec Sub-2000 folds in half, and is very small and handy.

Still, if faced with hostilities in a home defense role, or whatever, a 995 is way more 'real world' gun than almost any pistol. I'm sure with it's 16" barrel, using top end +P+ 9mm ammo it would be more than enough for hunting deer or whatever else in a pinch in any kind of survival scenario as well. They do work.

But mostly, it's just a really fun plinker.

PS: These guns are not meant to shoot as well as a $400 AK or $800 AR, so expecting them to is not really fair. What a 995 is to me is a really fun little $200-300 plinker or home defense gun for someone that ONLY has $200-300 for a really fun little plinker or home defense gun. With the extra velocity a 16" barrel confers, and top ammo, a 9mm will lay down a whole lot of whumpbutt on someone trying to do you harm. And it's cheap to shoot and plink with too.
    Last edited by Valorius; May 10th, 2011 at 05:37 PM.

(Lebanon County)

A friend of a friend had one explode, killing and injuring dozens. 4 3.45%
    Appears there are at least 4 comedians in the bunch

(Philadelphia County)

Ok, I read all the comments and had to find out for myself. I bought a brand new Hi-Point .40 caliber about a month ago and decided to try it for myself. At first glance, I thought, well it's big. When I held it for the first time I thought, well it's heavy. So I took it the range today, loaded the clip and sent a few rounds down the lane. I shot two boxes of Lawman 180 grain FMJ bullets today. On shot number 45, the slide stood the round, which was the last one in the clip, straight up and blocked the bolt. An easy clear, remove mag, pull back slide and the round fell out of the mag slot. The gun shoots dead on. Sight adjustments are easy to make. Everything on the gun works well. The problem is now in my mind. I own expensive guns, I own cheep guns. I like the fact that Hi-Point is an American made gun. I could live with the gun being heavy. I could live with the gun being big. But the gun jammed. That bothers me. I carry a revolver just because of that very thing. This is just my experence with the gun. I hope it helps others. Joe

A semi auto jammed on you well within the break in period, one time?

No disrespect intended at all, but how is this news?

I've seen thousand dollar pistols and carbines jam on the first hundred rounds or so. Semi's need a break in period.

(Philadelphia County)

I agree with you, semi's need to be broken in. I was just telling my story, what happened to me. But on the other side of the coin, a jam is a jam. Joe

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567