Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default What to make a rail adapter out of?

Hey everyone,

I own one of the 1st generation Steyr M9's. I like the look and feel of the pistol, especially the triangular sights. However, I HATE the specialized rail the gun has. See the stock photo below (because I'm too lazy to go upstairs, unload, and photograph mine).

I'd like to try my hand at fabricating my own rail adapter. I can purchase one here for $99, but I'd much rather fab my own. I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks I should make this out of.

I'm currently looking into Teflon - a 2"x2"x3" block can be purchased for about $50, and I think with a set of calipers, a dremel, and some patience, I can make a very nice prototype.

Any thoughts/suggestions? If I'm being idiotic about this and you think I'm better off spending the $100 for the OEM, let me know.

(Centre County)

Default Re: What to make a rail adapter out of?

You're not being an idiot, many people manufacture their own accessories for their guns. Think about the number of people that want custom grips for a .45 acp and so they make their own. However, why go with teflon, a 2x2x3 block of aluminum would probably be a lot cheaper and just as easy to work.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

Another, more "bubba-ized" idea, maybe get your hands on some cheap accessory that will fit on the Styer rail and cut it up and somehow attach a section of Picatinny.

I just think it's gonna be tough with a Dremel, especially tough on your patience. This is why everybody needs a friend with a CNC mill...

What do they even call that rail?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by david82 View Post
    I'd like to try my hand at fabricating my own rail adapter. I can purchase one here for $99, but I'd much rather fab my own. I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks I should make this out of.

I'm currently looking into Teflon - a 2"x2"x3" block can be purchased for about $50, and I think with a set of calipers, a dremel, and some patience, I can make a very nice prototype.

Any thoughts/suggestions? If I'm being idiotic about this and you think I'm better off spending the $100 for the OEM, let me know.
    Cost of materials are WAY to high to justify a DIY project if you are buying $50 pieces of teflon. What if you flub the first $50 block of material? (Answer; that factory rail adapter just became $150.)

Second, why teflon? I was going to suggest Delrin in it's place. For instance... you could cut up this whole thing for less than $50.
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CJIBEPMCMAk#

And have probably 6 tries at it. But I bet a block of delrin would be even cheaper. And isn't delrin harder than teflon?

But then I thought about it some more. Why are you using plastic at all? The factory part is metal. So buy a small piece of add on picatinny rail for $5-10. A small piece of sheet metal, and just build your own factory part. Look at this closely.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/177/img3498jw4.jpg

Picture taken from this thread discussing them. Dated 2008.
    http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/threads/...accessory-rail

I would think you would be much farther ahead shaping a piece of metal rail, and then dropping a bolt hole groove in it, bending some sheet metal "ears" for it. Drill a hole, attach the side plates and bang. Adapter. Of course with a lot of grinding and swearing left out.

(Monroe County)

honestly, I would probably just drill 2 holes in the bottom of the frame and mount a short piece of add on rail that is readily available online and in most gunshops for shotguns and rifles, etc.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    What do they even call that rail?
    I have no idea what it's called; it's some proprietary mount they got rid of after this generation.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, guys; given me much to think on. I like the idea of simply cutting and mounting an add-on rail...hadn't thought of that. I also have never heard of delrin, so I guess I've got a little more research to do before I come to a decision.

Thanks!

(Armstrong County)

Metal Supermarket in Pittsburgh is a good source for drops (scraps) of T6 (usually 6061) aircraft aluminum. I use this stuff for all sorts of parts from bipod mounts to grips and back. The scraps are pretty inexpensive. You shoud be able to file or mill it to just about any shape.
    They are at:
    4290 Campbells Run Road
    Pittsburgh, PA 15205-1322
    (412) 279-3600

(Allegheny County)

On a whim today I purchased a Magpul polymer section today off eBay for about $10. My initial thinking was to cut it to size, re-drill, and mount to underside of frame. Then (shortly after I paid, of course!) I remembered *why* I had previously not thought of an undermount - Steyrs puts a metal insert into the frame, directly under the rail, with the pistol's serial number. I snapped some photos for reference:

Were it not for that plate, I'd have no qualms about drilling and threading a mount. Darn.

Asmodeus - thanks for your suggestions, and thanks for the photos...not sure how I missed that thread! With the piece of rail I ordered, I should have enough to mess up three times without running out of material. I think what I'll do is a test-run with the polymer as a rail base, and some scrap sheet aluminum to retrofit it to the frame. Assuming all goes well I may run with Sanction's suggestion and get some scraps for the final build. I'm not (overly) concerned with the final price; I'm more interesting in coming up with a workable solution with my own two hands.

I'll post some photos of the work in progress as soon as my part arrives, which should be Friday.

thanks again
    Dave

(Delaware County)

To the op, a little off topic. I was thinking about the Steyr p9 a couple days ago. When I first became interested in guns it was new to the market then I kind of lost interest in firearms untill recently. I have not seen or heard anything about the Steyr p9 untill this post. I was very interested in this gun early on.
    Would you please post a review of your gun as to it's quality and accuracy.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast