Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Boy Scout Troop needs help

My brother's Boy Scout troop will be camping on private land in the vicinity of Ricketts Glen SP in Pennsylvania the weekend of 5/14. My brother made the mistake of mentioning that they do some target shooting when they camp at this location. The scout council now says they have to have an "NRA certified instructor" on-site if they want to shoot. They need an NRA certified Instructor or Range Safety Officer. Does anyone know of such a person in the Ricketts Glen vicinity who would be willing to donate an afternoon to the Boy Scouts? Naturally, the troop will feed the person and reimburse for expenses.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Boy Scout Troop needs help

I had this same problem with our troops winter weekend event in January. We ended up just using air rifles and doing some archery also. The boys really enjoyed it even without the use of .22 rifles.

(Northampton County)

I am seeing this post a little late. But if this issue comes up again feel free to reach out to me, and if I am free I will drive up from the Lehigh Valley to help you out.

I am a former Cub Scout and Explorer Scout. Skipped the Boy Scout thing for lack of free time since I was on a swimming team at the time.

I am an alumni of Alpha Phi Omega, a national service fraternity based on the principles of the Boy Scouts of America.

Lastly I am a NRA certified instructor (Home Firearms Safety, Basic Pistol and Personal Protection Inside the Home). Don't know if you specifically need a rifle instructor or range safety officer, but I could easily take and pass those courses.

Let me know if you need help in the future.
    Last edited by Red; June 20th, 2011 at 11:58 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    My brother's Boy Scout troop will be camping on private land in the vicinity of Ricketts Glen SP in Pennsylvania the weekend of 5/14. My brother made the mistake of mentioning that they do some target shooting when they camp at this location. The scout council now says they have to have an "NRA certified instructor" on-site if they want to shoot. They need an NRA certified Instructor or Range Safety Officer. Does anyone know of such a person in the Ricketts Glen vicinity who would be willing to donate an afternoon to the Boy Scouts? Naturally, the troop will feed the person and reimburse for expenses.
    Since the thread has been revised, let me state this.

Mentioning it was not a mistake. I personally believe, as an Eagle Scout and Order of the Arrow Vigil Honor Member, that the BSA is being ignorant and stupid with regards to some of its rules. It's my understand that paintball and laser tag games where scouts compete against each other are outright prohibited, and that shooting paintball and/or laser tag at Stationary targets even requires approval from the council.

However, while I think some of their rules are downright absurd, I want leaders following them. Frankly it is not okay for troops to follow only the rules that they like, and ignore ones that they do not.
    Last edited by IronSight; June 20th, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    However, while I think some of there rules are downright absurd, I want leaders following them. Frankly it is not okay for troops to follow only the rules that they like, and ignore ones that they do not.

+1 to that, I understand that they more than anyone need to think of the children but I question some of their rules as being redundant and pointless. I agree that they should be followed however as that coincides with the integrity theme. If you don't like rules go through the process to have them revised or removed.
    Last edited by RuthlessZ; June 20th, 2011 at 05:12 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Boy Scout Troop needs help

As a District & Council Committeeman here in Greater Pittsburgh Council, a former Professional Scouter, and Asst. Webelos Den Leader for my oldest, I will note, that the Guide to Safe Scouting is a pretty concise document, seeing as how it has to cover 12,000,000+ Cub, Boy, Venture, & Explorer Scouts and Scouters, across ALL 50 states and U.S. Territories. The fact it's little thicker than a phamplet is a testimony to the committment of the BSA to keeping Scouting simple, and keep Scouting fun. As a former professional, I can tell you that CHANGES to the Guide are not made lightly; boys WILL be boys, and broken limbs happen. Changes are usually only considered, when a Scout has DIED at an activity.

That said, I've seen my fair share of grab-assery over the years on the firing range. Having certified people on hand covers the Scouts from an insurance liability standpoint (the world revolves around LAWYERS, don'tcha know! ), and gives you some extra eyes on the firing line to watch out for preventable stupidity.

Sounds like you're going to be in the vicinity of the PA Dutch Council for your shindig. A suggestion - call the Council Office, and see if you can locates someone(s) involved in the Council's shooting sports activities, who is both LOCAL and QUALIFIED, to come out and help them while they're in town.

"CYA" is a pain in the "A," and the Boy Scouts certainly have their share of PITA forms, compared to the "Follow Me Boys" of yesteryear. If it'll make you feel better, take a look at the Girl Scout safety guides, for comparison. The 11-volume, 3" 3 ring binders full of safety guidelines to take a simple walk around town (COPS have to stop traffic in ALL DIRECTIONS, so the Girl Scouts can cross a street, et.al. ) will have you run screaming into the hills, for those used to the simple BOY Scout method of doing things.

A little late to the party but if any BSA events need an NRA RSO in the Eastern halfish of the state, I'd be happy to help out if I'm available that day.
    Last edited by john doe; April 18th, 2015 at 07:50 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Now that this is completely off-topic, Ill chime in.

Our council (Minsi Trails) has a "no firearms except for "bona-fide" LEO's at all times. That is supposedly at any/all scouting events. I personally feel this rule is BS.... and I CC to most every activity my son is at. In light of this rule, its probably best not to taunt them with OC.

That said, a few leaders in the local troop know I carry and really don't have issue with it - especially as Im not part of the troop leadership. On the other hand there are also a few staunch anti's that flip out over a scout carrying a pocket knife As our troop regularly camps in some remote locations, visits some of the nicer towns Id gladly solicit your input.