Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Walther P22: Experience w/Different Ammo

At this point, I've tried only three, but the results are:

CCI Mini-Mag 40gr, Copper Plated Solid Point. I picked it up in 100 round plastic boxes.
    I paid $7.35/100 or approx 7.4 cents per round.
    200 flawless rounds fired.

Federal Game Shok 40gr, High Velocity Copper Plated Solid Point Ammo. Comes packed 50rds per pack, 10 packs per brick. I paid $32.95 per 500, at an approx cost of 6.6 cents per round.
    200 flawless rounds fired, just as with the CCI Mini Mag.

Federal "550 Value Pack", 36 gr, Copper Plated Hollow Point. I picked this up at Walmart for $16.97, for an approx cost of 3.1 cents per round.
    200 rounds fired, with 2 failures to feed. I noticed no "debris", smoke, etc, so it seems clean. Additionally, in the P22, it "felt" essentially the same as the CCI Mini Mags and Game Shok rounds.

My conclusion:
    If the P22 is a range/target/plinking gun, and you don't mind some manual intervention from time to time, at 3.1 cents per round, and less than half the price of the other ammo I've tried, you can't go wrong.

Now, having said that, I've read posts from folks who have stated their P22 just won't shoot the Walmartian ammo. So, of course, your mileage may vary. I have no objections to using the Federal Value Pack all things considered.

Oh, and of course, ammo prices vary wildly, so your savings may vary as well.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

Default Re: Walther P22: Experience w/Different Ammo

thanks for the info . i just picked up a lightly used p-22 and have not been to the range with it yet. i am all for the cheaper the better . thats why i bought a 22 pistol. cheap fun at the range.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Montgomery County)

Have you tried the Win red box 333 or 555 from Wallyworld? The Win 333 is slightly cheaper per round than the 555 at Wally's (.030 vs .031). Works fine in my SW22A. I used Federal 525 bulk for the initial break in and averaged about 1 failure per mag (got it on sale at Cabelas for .0286 rd). After a couple hundred rounds it's much better, maybe 1 in 50. Failures aren't as low as I'd like yet but at least it's more consistant across brands now and only getting better. I also notice patches run through a lot easier than when it was brand new but I still can't get a 1" patch through, I have to cut them into triangles.

(Lebanon County)

"Federal "550 Value Pack", 36 gr, Copper Plated Hollow Point. I picked this up at Walmart for $16.97, for an approx cost of 3.1 cents per round."

That's all I've been putting through mine , no issues yet. This little thing is a blast to shoot

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman916 View Post
    "Federal "550 Value Pack", 36 gr, Copper Plated Hollow Point. I picked this up at Walmart for $16.97, for an approx cost of 3.1 cents per round."

That's all I've been putting through mine , no issues yet. This little thing is a blast to shoot
    Yes, it really is, and to be honest, I never would have believed it. One thing that I am finding consistently, is that the slide doesn't lock back after about the 130th (or so) round (regardless of ammo). I can feel it becoming a bit "gritty", so I may switch to using something a bit heavier on the slide rails, in terms of lube (I generally only ever use Rem Oil on any of my firearms). I'm seeing metal-against-metal wear inside, which is good, as I know exactly where to lube. I suspect after a few thousand rounds, it should run like a clock, but we'll see.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith