Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bolt Carrier Key Staking

Well, I was an idiot the other night and I dropped my bolt carrier assembly on pavement. Part of my bolt key broke off. I got a new one today along with some new screws. Does anyone know the best/easiest/most affordable way to stake the two screws that hold the bolt key in place? What kind of tools will I need?

I'm also wondering about the best method to use. This is how it was staked when I got it from the factory:

I've also seen it staked from the side:

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Bolt Carrier Key Staking

Hrm, I don't personally know, seems like the staking is there for a reason: So you can't get it off. Might have to buy a new carrier altogether. You might also want to ask on www.ar15.com forums, those guys are extremely knowledgeable about AR15's, especially on the nitty gritty stuff like this.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

I was able to get the old bolt key off of my carrier (I was able to just unscrew the 2 screws) - I'm just not sure how to stake the new screws.

(Luzerne County)

Looks like it was scored with a hardened chisel point. Some Loc-tite wouldn't hurt the cause either. I would just attempt to duplicate the OEM method of bolt retention as close as possible. If you are looking for a more definitive answer try emailing or calling the manufacturer. Often times their respose time is respectable and they are quite helpful.

(Westmoreland County)

Google ADCO and / or G&R Tactical. E-mail them and ask what they'll charge to stake your BCG.

I'll do it for you for free. I have the tool that stakes from the side.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by greyhouse View Post
    I was able to get the old bolt key off of my carrier (I was able to just unscrew the 2 screws) - I'm just not sure how to stake the new screws.
    My bad, I read that wrong! Should take Tony up on his offer, he's a good guy.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Google ADCO and / or G&R Tactical. E-mail them and ask what they'll charge to stake your BCG.

I'll do it for you for free. I have the tool that stakes from the side.
    Hey Tony-

Thanks for the offer, but i'd like to avoid shipping it anywhere if at all possible. I'm guessing a local gun smith could probably do it pretty cheap.

By the way, how much does it cost for that staking tool, and where can you get it?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by greyhouse View Post

By the way, how much does it cost for that staking tool, and where can you get it?
    http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

Scroll down the page to MOACKS.

(Montgomery County)

this is the easiest thing.

use green loctite on the screws to fasten the key to the carrier.

place the new carrier with the gas key installed on a hard flat surface like a work bench.

get the hammer, any hammer, claw, ballpeen, even a large rock, or an old brake drum...it doesn't really matter.

get the pointed punch, or a thin chisel, or such, a hard nail can even be used in a pinch, like a concrete nail.

put the punch on the EDGE of the hole next to the screw.

hit the punch with the hammer with sufficient force that it dimples the metal and pushes some into the top of the screw path.

thats it, no need to agonize over the right or wrong way to do this, just stake the darn thing and be done with it.

best to do from the TOP down, crimping from the sides, you must support BOTH sides at once or maybe shear the screws off.

I've built about 2 dozen ARs, and have repaired numerous carriers, just HIT the punch with the hammer, and get it over with.

this har aint no rawket sance boys

further, if you REALLY need someone else to do it for ya, I live in Gilbertsville off Rt 100, gimme a yell, and I'll get out my punch and hammer, and hit the punch with the hammer for you...you really cant screw this up
    Last edited by JayBell; November 10th, 2006 at 03:55 AM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(York County)

I've staked a number of bolts (actually, set screws as shown in the pictures) in my life, but never for a bolt carrier. In my case, I'd take it to a gun smith.

However, this is how to stake:
    Staking is done to prevent the bolt from backing out. You can do it with a center punch and small to medium sized hammer. Make sure the carrier is solidly secured in a vice. Put the center punch along side the bolt on a slight angle toward the bolt. Then give the center punch a solid hit with the hammer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast