Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (McKean County)

Default Best "cheap" .45ACP ammo for target/plinking?

Finally made a decision and picked up a Springfield XD45c. Now, I need to pick up some inexpensive ammo - just for practice and to familiarize myself with the pistol. Went to W-mart, and they have several brands available for pretty close to the same price (okay... none of them are really inexpensive). Now I have a couple questions.

1) Is any of the "cheap" stuff more/less accurate than others?

2) Other than the non-brass Russian stuff, is it all reloadable (I'm probably going to buy a reloading setup, but currently don't know squat about it).

I haven't heard of any certain brand being problematic with this pistol (people say it will eat anything). If there's anything else I need to think about, please let me know. Thanks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Best "cheap" .45ACP ammo for target/plinking?

If you plan to reload in the future, WWB or Federal is about a cheap as your going to get for brass casings, locally. IMO the Russian ammo shoots just fine but the casings are junk and can't be reused (sensibly). If you go to a range a few times you will more than likely be able to gather casings. I always ask when someone is shooting a caliber I reload if they save their shells, most say no and I pick them up. Get set up to reload ASAP, educate yourself on it and start saving.

Edit:
    The accuracy will be barely noticeable. And the XD will definitely eat anything!
    Last edited by dregan; April 30th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.

It will eat everything, Even that russian crap. I normally reload for 45 but if I didn't I have used WWB,AE and PMC and never a problem with any of them. As far as cheap, well 45 is not cheap, that's where reloading is beneficial. Since you don't have a reloading set up you will need to bu everything which will add up but it's worth it. I personally load 45 for about $.10 a round(guesstamate) but even if that guess if way off it still beats $22 for 50 @ Walmart, but then there is the entertainment value of the people of Walmart and that's worth a few extra wampum.
    I would say get a Lee 1000 loader with the dies from Grafs or Midway, go to King Shooters supply for Roger's better bullets, WST powder, reloading manual and some CCI or Remington LPP. The biggest challenge is to set up the Lee loader but there not hard just finicky.

Plus two on the WWB and Federal. I think the WWB is more consistant and groups better than Federal at longer distances, but ten yards and closer, you can't go wrong with either. Not a fan of the Russian ammo, but that is just me.

(Philadelphia County)

For cheap target loads, I've been picking up the RWS from weaponsworld.com.

$360 shipped/1000 rounds.

(McKean County)

Thanks. I'm sure my shooting has more of a negative impact on accuracy than any inconsistencies in the ammo could. I know the local WM carries the WWB and the Federal (UMC?), and I think they have one other brand of the fmj stuff. And the Russian rounds.

The brass is equal? I thought I had heard of case length issues with the WWB... but I'm also thinking that was brought up in a discussion of a different pistol - one with magazine feed problems. When I was looking, I was looking at the Lee equipment - the list of suppliers is a big help. Thank you.

I have about 1,000 things to get done this weekend, but I'm hoping to squeeze in a little trigger time with the new pistol.

Appreciate all the responses.

(Allegheny County)

Definitely check out PMC. It's high-quality, brass-cased Korean ammo. Not nearly as dirty as Wolf. You can get it online; shipping but no tax and it'll still probably be cheaper than local places.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sean79 View Post
    Thanks. I'm sure my shooting has more of a negative impact on accuracy than any inconsistencies in the ammo could. I know the local WM carries the WWB and the Federal (UMC?), and I think they have one other brand of the fmj stuff. And the Russian rounds.

The brass is equal? I thought I had heard of case length issues with the WWB... but I'm also thinking that was brought up in a discussion of a different pistol - one with magazine feed problems. When I was looking, I was looking at the Lee equipment - the list of suppliers is a big help. Thank you.

I have about 1,000 things to get done this weekend, but I'm hoping to squeeze in a little trigger time with the new pistol.

Appreciate all the responses.
    If you plan on reloading more than one caliber, I would suggest a Lee turret press set up. For about $300 you can get everything you need to get your first 250 rounds done.

Ball park numbers:
    Press 110
    Dies 30
    Lymans #49 20
    .45 specific manual 10
    Powder 20
    Primers 20
    250 bullets 30
    Caliper 15
    tumbler 50

Shop around and you can trim some off the initial costs. The first 1000 rounds or so you make all you need to buy is more bullets. So for ball park numbers about 400 for 1000 rounds once everything is said and done. It almost pays for itself already.

Get some input on presses, there are several threads here already pointing out pros and cons on many makes and models.

Good luck and be safe!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    IMO the Russian ammo shoots just fine but the casings are junk and can't be reused (sensibly).
    most of it reloads just fine.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    most of it reloads just fine.
    It is junk steel, low grade. You can reload it. It is harder on your dies. Thus why I said "(sensibly)".

Brass casings are to be had for free at most ranges, so why bother with steel. Before I reloaded I used to buy cheap Russian rounds for plinking. I never saved any of them for the above reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast