Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Carbon County)

Default smith 686 no dash

what are the main differences between the older 686 without the dash compared to the new models besides the obvious fire pin on the hammer. are they as reliable, more prone to failure?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: smith 686 no dash

The dash numbers are for product reliability amd it meant that there was a change needed to upgrade the gun for a longer service life. I'm sure that the no dash early 686 will work fine for most people, but might have problems for a hard core shooter or for law enforcement application.

I'm not sure that I'd agree with Kramer. The dash-numbers represent engineering changes - these did not necessarily make the gun more reliable (although in some cases it may be considered an improvement), it simply meant something changed. The difference, for example between your 686 (introduced in 1980) and the 686-1 (introduced 1986) was the radius & stud package and the floating hand.

There was a recall of 686's and 686-1's in 1987 and it appears there should be an overstamped "M" indicating this was done. You may want to talk to S&W CS about this for your specific gun. However, you should be aware that there are S&W collectors that only collect "no dash" guns, and having the recall done may ruin its value to them. You should at least find out what it was and whether it affects the safe shooting of your new toy.

As of the latest printing of the Supica & Nahas S&W bible, the last engineering change was the 686-7 in 2002.

Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

should also add that the recall is
    A: still in effect
    B: not a super issue if it has not been performed on this gun.

the problem was primer flow back around the firing pin, and back into the firing pin bushing....on the frame. the issue was it would lock the pistol up.
    one brand of primers were way soft back in the day, and were pretty prone to the above.
    what they do is replace the firing pin and bushing, then stamp an "M" near the model number on the frame.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Carbon County)

im thinking by comparing the 2, its only things like hammer safety and things like that, the gun looks identical to the newer ones except for the hammer. i must say it has 1 hellava trigger...smooth as butter. awesome gun.

(Beaver County)

Talking Re: smith 686 no dash

I have a 686-6 also very smooth,for more information on your 686 no dash you could go to S&W Forum.They will bug you for pictures.(Just like we do,Oh by the way where are the pictures ?)

(Quote from Pizza BoB ) However, you should be aware that there are S&W collectors that only collect "no dash" guns, and having the recall done may ruin its value to them.

(Carbon County)

i guess i can do pics, the gun looks brand new...real nice shape
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Philadelphia County)

I'm one of those who collect "No-dash" L frames and so far have eight of them. I think three have the modification done and the rest do not, including my 6" 686, which is the first handgun I ever bought (back in 1983) and one I still shoot regularly. I have never had a problem with that one or any of the others...and that first 686 has many thousands of rounds through it so far.
    I would also disagree with the comment about longer service life. I think in many (most?) cases changes were introduced to reduce manufacturing costs. The so-called "floating hand" of the dash-1s meant less hand-fitting for that critical part but didn't work out too well and was dropped with the dash-2 which also incorporated a change in the firing pin bushing eliminating the need for the modification. One change that was an improvement (I think it was before the L frams were introduced) changed the thread direction on the ejector rod because they tended to work lose. In any case, the 686s are all fine guns, highly reliable, a fine platform for the .357 cartridge, and I don't think the average person could afford the ammunition needed to wear one out in a normal life-time. So congrats on a great gun and enjoy shooting it.
    Last edited by cptdco; April 30th, 2011 at 07:10 PM.

(Cambria County)

My first and only revolver was a 6inch 686 that I bought in the early 90's. I have fired many thousands of rounds and have never had an issue. It's still a tack driver with a super smooth trigger. No issues for me to complain about.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776