Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Talking Mossberg 590A1 HELP

Hey all, I'm looking at a Mossberg 590A1 combat shotgun. The model is #50771. It's the model with ghost ring sites and ported 20" barrel.

Here she blows:

I'm interested if anyone has any experience with this particular model. How do you like the length? Is it too heavy? Is the fact that it's ported a noticeable benefit? Is it rugged?

I always research my prospects, but I do highly value actual owners' opinions or people's viewpoints who have actually shot it. So thanks ahead of time!

Oh yeah, and asking price is 500 bones. Reasonable?
    Defend the Just with Honor

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Mossberg 590A1 HELP

I bought my mossberg 590a1 years ago for about 350 but it is not ported and have a bead sight someday I will up grade the sights. I have no problems with mine, i like how it shots, weight is fine, and been reliable so far. I wouldn't know if ported will make a difference because i never shot one hopefully some will answer that for you.

I have the 590A1 with 18.5" barrel and ghost rings. Mine isn't ported, but I don't think it would be an issue. I like the weight of the 590A1...the trigger guard is steel and I like that they are parkerized.

(Perry County)

I believe the porting will put you in open in 3-gun. Otherwise it is a great gun. Mine doesn't have porting, I don't feel the need as this is a very heavy gun (especially with that bayonet). Built like a tank and worth $500, but try shopping a bit for a better price if you want to save a few bucks, (I paid $400 slightly used).

I have that exact same shotgun a 590A1 SPX. Its a great shotgun. Action is smooth as silk and goes bang every time. I changed out the stock and forend for a hogue 12" lop kit. Its not that heavy its about the same as my 870 tactical. I think the ported barrel helps a little on muzzle flip. If u get the shotgun u will not be disappointed. I love mine. Here is a thread i made awhile back. http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...590a1-spx.html

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Normlizer View Post
    I have that exact same shotgun a 590A1 SPX. Its a great shotgun. Action is smooth as silk and goes bang every time. I changed out the stock and forend for a hogue 12" lop kit. Its not that heavy its about the same as my 870 tactical. I think the ported barrel helps a little on muzzle flip. If u get the shotgun u will not be disappointed. I love mine. Here is a thread i made awhile back. http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...590a1-spx.html
    So you CAN change out the forend? That was one of the big questions I had. I actually added the gun to my arsenal, and boy is it sweet. I'm looking at ATI tactical butt-stock and forend. Knowing the forend on the SPX can be changed puts me at ease.

Can anyone else confirm this?
    Defend the Just with Honor

Yes u can change out your forend. Just make sure u get one that fits your gun.

(Fayette County)

I prefer to not have a ported barrel.

But over all its a fine shotgun and I like it more than the regular 500.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Mossberg 590A1 HELP

500 rifled ported 12 3" barrel mounted scope rail,24"....dead on @100 yds, cant beat it 200.00 no scope, maybe 75.00 more
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by tomgun1 View Post
    500 rifled ported 12 3" barrel mounted scope rail,24"....dead on @100 yds, cant beat it 200.00 no scope, maybe 75.00 more
    Thats a nice shotgun you have in the pic.

But yours is geared more towards hunting.

I think the OP is looking a tactical shotgun.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli