Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs down Spring City Custom Firearms & Repair

Heard some positive things about Vic, so I decided to give him the opportunity to work on my Savage.

A few weeks ago I had a stuck case and was unable to open the bolt. I took a rubber mallet and I ended up breaking the sear. Long story...short...I called Savage and they would only sell the part to a gunsmith. I called Vic and told him I needed to order the sear that cost $8. Took my barrel action to him and was told it would be less than two weeks. Vic knew I needed my rifle up and running by the 29th.

I get a call from Vic two weeks ago saying that he ordered the part twice and Savage sent him the wrong parts two times. I was very surprised that a company as large as Savage would ship the wrong parts twice. I worked in a repair department, so I know the drill. Vic didn't go into detail what happened with Savage, so I ended up calling and speaking to the VP of Customer Service for Savage. I found out from Savage that Vic didn't order the part twice and he ordered the wrong part. All that was broken and needed to be ordered was the sear. Vic for some reason ordered (4) parts instead of just ordering the sear.

I ended up ordering the part from Jim Briggs a gentleman that sells various Savage parts.

What I learned from this whole experience is that not only is Vic incompetent, he's also a liar. I even told Vic that I'd install the sear myself since it looks like a very basic install...I just needed to have the part ordered. This has taken nearly a month of my time, all of which I could have resolved weeks ago if I would have done it myself.

I don't understand how a "gunsmith" would order more than the part that is broken on a basic rifle....then lie and say he ordered the part twice and tried to blame it on Savage.

I have no confidence in this man, and he will never touch any of my firearms. I picked up my barrel action yesterday.

Bottom line is I'm not impressed...don't care how inexpensive his work is...his character is shady at best.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Spring City Custom Firearms & Repair

I have used Vic for a couple jobs, not custom work but rather repair oriented work and he did well by me. He came recommended by a couple people including my dealer. Maybe there was some miscommunication happening.

(Cumberland County)

i talked to vic on the phone when i lived in phoenixville,
    and he had very little clue as to what i wanted done(very basic)
    left me feeling like he didnt want the work....

I try to do the work myself, but since Savage wouldn't sell me the part, I figured I'd just have him do the work since he was ordering the part. I should have gone on Savage Shooters and bought the part myself.

Replacing the sear was very basic. If you can put together an AR15, you can do this in a matter of minutes.

(Warren County)

He did some work on my Marlin 30-30, it works but his solution was not the best. He also did some work for a buddy of mine at the same time, again the problem was fixed but his methods leave a lot to be desired. If the work is being done on a beater gun where looks/finish does not matter than he's your man. If not, than I'd look elsewhere.
    Tim , USAF Ret.