Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Allegheny County- thought I'd share.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared McLaughlin View Post
    It's the municipal guys that I'd rather never inform that I'm armed. I had one draw on me, safety off, finger on the trigger, because I informed him that I was carrying. I'll never do that again. I could comment on this situation more, but it would be unbecoming of this forum and my past associations.
    Based on interactions--at the range and on the street, I would politely disagree. I've found, from sharing range time with both, that the muni guys who I have shot with are far more proficient in firearms, typically because they are (for lack of a better colloquialism) "gun guys" in greater numbers than city cops. They also tend to have a much more "enlightened" view towards gun rights than city cops, as well as being better overall shots. This is one of those situations where "your mileage may vary" (And does). Without a sample of the entire city police force and an equally large percentage of the municipal departments locally, it's probably an imperfect sample set for all parties.

With that said, while I would not put it past an officer to draw on you if the situation warranted (beyond the "I'm carrying statement), but I have an incredibly hard time with the idea that one drew on you with safety off and trigger finger in position simply because you indicated you were carrying--on the western end of the state in any event (the Delco sheriff and his office, OTOH....). There has to be more context than that. If there is not, I urge you to file a complaint (if it's recent) and/or share the department name--that type of behavior strikes me as in serious need of remediation before something really bad happens.
    Last edited by pyld; December 26th, 2007 at 01:17 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
    So basically they can arrest you and there's really nothing we can do to change it? That's weak. Ahhhhhhh, freedom.
    I've heard that from more than one reliable source; if yo9u call the Sheriff's Office, they will quote the law accurately but the police will arrest you. Welcome to Pittsburgh.

(Philadelphia County)

Here's what they give you in philly when you pick up your LTCF. You have to sign a copy which they keep to prove you got it.

http://www.ppdonline.org/pdf/hq/sp4-127-uponreceipt.pdf

Number two tells you:
    "2. Any overt and unnecessary display of firearms in public places can cause alarm and adverse reactions by fellow citizens. Do not create a situation which could result in the revocation of your permit."

Reading between the lines -- "yeah, we know it's legal but we will arrest you on a disorderly and revoke your LTCF anyway. You don't like it, tell it to the judge."

It's wrong but getting it to change won't involve a bunch of us openly carrying at a diner near a police station -- it will involve a war chest sized legal defense fund.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wboggs View Post
    I'm in Agony County too and hear that open carry in Pittsburgh (though perfectly legal since we're not a First Class City) is most likely to get you a free ride to jail.

That's really interesting becasue I LIVE in the city, and I OC every day.

To the laundromat on Broadway Ave in Beechview. In Oakland around Fuel n' Fuddle, Mad Mex, the O and Quakersteak when hanging out with my college friends. At Waterworks Mall. Downtown around the Convention Center, and many many other places, and aside from ONE encounter with local PD in Frazier twp at Pittsburgh Mills Mall with a pair of ignorant cops who wouldn't listen to reason or letter of law I've never EVER had an officer even ASK about my gun.

You would think but if they are anything like Pittsburgh, they make up their own laws and take you to jail. Then you get to hire an attorney and get it straightened out. Not worth it to me.
    With the Pittsburgh Police, that law doesn't matter, they will take you to jail and then you have to fix the mess; which you definitely will be able to. But what is proving a point worth to you$$?

And it's not that they need taught a lesson, this has actually happened more than once; so proving a point wont work for the future.
    I've heard that from more than one reliable source; if yo9u call the Sheriff's Office, they will quote the law accurately but the police will arrest you. Welcome to Pittsburgh.
    Um... who do you know that this has happened to? I've never heard of anyone in the City bing arrested for lawful open carry; and like I said above, I do it every day, and have never even had a City cop ASK about the weapon. Plenty acknowledge that it's there, I can see them look at it and then at me. I just smile and nod at them.

(Allegheny County)

Paging Mr boggs...

...is there a wboggs in the building?

There's a message for you at the front desk...
    click here to view the message.

Last edited by Emptymag; December 27th, 2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typo - oops!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Paging Mr boggs...

...is there a wboggs in the building?

There's a message for you at the front desk...
    lick here to view the message.

Now that's funny right there.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Now that's funny right there.
    I have to agree, that's funny as can be. LMAO

I saw it......

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234