Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Glock 26 Failure to Extract

Yes, this is another “gun jamming” thread. I know there are many on this sight, but I had tried the usual suspects and am baffled as to what is causing my failure-to-extracts on my Glock 26. Here are the details…

Glock 26 was purchased bran new a little over 1 year ago.

Roughly 1500 rounds through it of various brands except steel-cased.

Aftermarket 3.5 pound trigger connector, extended slide stop, extended slide release, extended mag release, slide plate, mag floor plate, SS guide rod with recoil spring (since removed), Glock decal tape, and night sights.

No visible dents, cracks, etc on either the extractor or ejector.

Gun well-maintained (e.g., cleaned and lubed after each range visit.) Even the slide was taken down and everything in there had been recently cleaned.

Various factory and aftermarket mags used...all with the same outcome.

I've been shooting this gun since I had bought it, and the problems have just begun around 2 months ago.

And this is what thanks my gun gives me….

My gun is currently at a gunsmith being looked over. But I’m kind of wondering the thoughts of the members here.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Glock 26 Failure to Extract

Specific ammo makes no difference?

Replacing the extractor and maybe also the extractor depressor plunger assembly would be a cheap start. (Total armorer's cost for the extractor, extractor depressor plunger, bearing and spring would be under $20.00.)

The armorer's manual gives the following possible causes:

-Extractor broken/worn/missing
    -Defective ammunition
    -Dirt under extraction claw
    -Dirty chamber
    -Shooting with an unlocked wrist
    Last edited by toml; April 27th, 2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added parts detail

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by toml View Post
    Specific ammo makes no difference?

Replacing the extractor and maybe also the extractor depressor plunger assembly would be a cheap start. (Total armorer's cost for the extractor, extractor depressor plunger, bearing and spring would be under $20.00.)

The armorer's manual gives the following possible causes:

-Extractor broken/worn/missing
    -Defective ammunition
    -Dirt under extraction claw
    -Dirty chamber
    -Shooting with an unlocked wrist
    Thanx for the quick reply.

I shoot mostly WWB, which is what I was shooting prior to the current problems.

I may just go ahead and replace all the parts you had mentioned to see if it corrects the problem.

The extraction claw was cleaned with a toothbrush. No dirt was under it.

The chamber was also thoroughly cleaned, and even the feed ramp had been polished for good measure.

The unlocked wrist is something I need to check. I may have developed a bad habbit without even realizing it. I also noticed I was starting to do more of a rifle stance with one foot behind the other instead of a side-by-side stance.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    The unlocked wrist is something I need to check. I may have developed a bad habbit without even realizing it.
    I hesitated to list that first since some folks take offense, but in the Armorer's class, the instructor (Jim Greene - excellent teacher) listed the causes of malfunctions they most often encounter, in order, as:

S- Shooter
    A- Ammo
    M- Maintenance
    M- Mechanical

Having someone else (or even better, several folks) shoot the pistol can be an easy way to rule out 'limp-wristing' as the cause.

(Washington County)

I doubt this is a limp wristing problem. A weak grip can absorb some of the recoil that should be used to cycle the slide, which can cause the slide to return before the ejected case has time to clear the ejection port, resulting in a stovepipe.

It should not affect the actual extraction of the spent case from the chamber. The only thing that should affect that is a dirty chamber or a broken (should have said: improperly functioning) extractor.

I would replace the extractor, spring, plunger, and hose the channel down with brake cleaner.

My money is on the extractor spring being beat.

EDIT: Actually I can't see the plunger going bad either. I would just replace the extractor and spring.
    Last edited by marinville; April 28th, 2011 at 12:31 AM.

(Montgomery County)

The parts are so cheap and replacing them is so easy that I would do that in any case just to rule them out.

Verifying the proper parts and orientation is important. The bearing should be black for a 9 mm. The correct orientation of the EDP assembly is with the metal end towards the extractor and the bearing end towards the slide cover plate.

Since Jason already stated "the slide was taken down and everything in there had been recently cleaned", I'm thinking dirt in that area is not likely to be the cause. But it's worth a check while replacing the parts.

I personally wouldn't use brake cleaner. I'm a Hoppes and Break-Free guy. FWIW, Glock states in the Armorer's manual to "use only solvents and lubricants designed for use on firearms".

(Montgomery County)

Now that I think about it, Jason - did the failures start after the slide was cleaned (or otherwise disassembled)? I'm wondering if maybe the EDP assembly was inadvertently reinstalled backwards. That could easily cause the problem.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Glock 26 Failure to Extract

i have not seen this particular fte. it is a little soon for springs to be going bad{extractor spring} but anything is possible. when the slide was disassembled you didn't happen to loose the extractor spring plunger by chance? didn't notice any marking on the shell casing from the extractor. the extractor itself looks ok in your pics. you might want to check the weak wrist idea, it does not cost anything and you wouldn't be the first to develop a bad habit. don't forget another shooter idea. i had a customer by a new 19 and call the next day with fte and ftf problems from the start with every mag. checked the 19 no problems noted, went to the range with him and ran 4 clips with no problems. while he was slack jawed we started with the basics , stance, grip, ect. he was shooting fine after 2 mags. let us know whats up thats how we learn. good luck red dog

(Washington County)

The parts are so cheap and replacing them is so easy that I would do that in any case just to rule them out.

Verifying the proper parts and orientation is important. The bearing should be black for a 9 mm. The correct orientation of the EDP assembly is with the metal end towards the extractor and the bearing end towards the slide cover plate.

Since Jason already stated "the slide was taken down and everything in there had been recently cleaned", I'm thinking dirt in that area is not likely to be the cause. But it's worth a check while replacing the parts.

I personally wouldn't use brake cleaner. I'm a Hoppes and Break-Free guy. FWIW, Glock states in the Armorer's manual to "use only solvents and lubricants designed for use on firearms".
    Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber is designed for use in firearms. It's also the same thing as CRC Braakleen. I've checked the msds'. The only difference is the price tag.

Buy the gun scrubber if you have money to burn. Either way its a very good product for hosing the shit out areas that are hard to access. Removes all fouling, de-greases, and then quickly evaporates.

Hoppes leaves behind a sticky resedue which would need to be removed with a que-tip or pipecleaner. Breakfree would leave oil in the channel which would attract fouling.

Also, for what it's worth I just installed the plunger/spring assembly backwards in my G-26 and cycled a mag full of snap caps through it. All of them extracted and ejected.
    Last edited by marinville; April 28th, 2011 at 12:15 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Now that I think about it, Jason - did the failures start after the slide was cleaned (or otherwise disassembled)? I'm wondering if maybe the EDP assembly was inadvertently reinstalled backwards. That could easily cause the problem.
    No, the issues started prior to taking down the slide. But I can see how people prob do install the EDP assembly backwards.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast