Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Kel-Tec PF 9

(Allegheny County)

Default Kel-Tec PF 9

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate your opinions on this weapon.....I work armed security and need a backup low porfile pocket gun. Money is very tight now. Previously owned a PF-9, but sold it due to the mag dropping after firing one round. Gun shop performed a field upgrade at no cost, however the problem continued. Got rid of it due to no confidence in the weapon.

Present day-Ruger LCP is too small (although still a option) and cannot afford anything else. Used equipment is nice, but again out of my price range. Wait till y'all have college age kids...

Is anyone carrying one??? Have you experienced any problems??? Kel-Tec produces some neat weapons and I like the lifetime warranty. Would like to believe this is a rare problem identified and corrected at the factory for future models.

Thank you very much for your time, good shooting and be safe!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec PF 9

I've been looking into them as I'm in need of a carry piece. This youtube review speaks to the issue your were having:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRbkOdUgms

I can't give you the time he talks about it as I'm at work. Basically if the mag release is steel, it has all the upgrades from the factory. In the shooting review the same guy does he did experience the mag dropping during the first couple of times shooting it as the recoil caused him to hit the mag release.

I picked one up a couple of years ago, has the "updated" metal mag release, and whatever else has been done to them to fix the little hiccups they used to have.

That said, I have had zero problems with the gun. Haven't shot it as much as other guns, it is snappy, but the recoil is not as bad as some people make it out to be. Shoots JHPs fine. Conceals pretty well in pants pockets if you wear looser pants, hides nicely in a jacket pocket.

I got the hard chromed slide version since it was going to be a pocket gun mainly.

(Montgomery County)

Exclamation Re: Kel-Tec PF 9

Well, I own two Kel Tecs...a PF-9 and a P-32, and with the recommended fluff and buff completed and each firearm having well over two hundred rounds downrange apiece...I can honestly say that I would carry both with confidence.

(Northampton County)

I've had mine a couple of months and have a couple of hundred or so rounds through it. Not a problem. I checked, I do have a metal mag release. I also have a P3AT that was a little stubborn at first. But a fluf and buff straightened it out. I don't carry them everyday, but when I need something extra small I trust them.

Smit

I've got a few hundred rounds through mine since I did the fluff & buff. It runs 100%, so far. I don't use the pinky extensions on the mags, because some have said that is part of the problem. for the money, the PF9 is a great little gun.

(Northampton County)

Back in October of 2010, a good friend and I tested our then-new subcompact 9mm's side by side. I brought a Taurus PT709, he brought his new KelTec PF9. Below is the original post with our test results:

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post

Comfort:
    - the recoil was honestly painful on the PF9 after just one mag due to the aggressive snap and nasty grip
    - the 709 may have had an unfair advantage here by wearing a hogue slip-on junior grip, as it was very easy and comfy to shoot, even with Winchester PDX1 +P's

Trigger:
    - we both agreed was far crisper and more predictable on the 709

Reliability: (this was the very first 100 rounds put through both guns)
    - we had 4 FTE's with the PF9 (perhaps just due to break-in?)
    - no issues with the Taurus *knock on wood it stays that way*

Accuracy:
    - the PF9's groupings were sloppy to say the least, even with slow controlled follow-ups
    - the 709 was far from what I would consider great, but the groups were certainly acceptable within 20' and right on target once I adjusted the rear sight

Fit and finish:
    - we both agreed was significantly better on the Taurus and the more extensive use of metal vs plastic parts we also appreciated

I was a little nervous going into this thinking I may have overpaid for a sub-par gun, but I ended up very pleased that I spent a little extra cash for a lot better gun. (at least in my experience with both guns) My friend actually already decided to trade his PF9 in for either a 709 or a Kahr CW9 once he gets a chance to shoot the Kahr.

In this match-up my vote has to be 100% Taurus 709 Slim over the KelTec PF9.
    Flash forward 6 months: I recently made my CC gun a Sig P239 SAS. Guess who immediately sold his PF9 so he could buy my 709 . . . yup, my friend is now a happy Taurus owner. That said, if you can afford to spend a little more, the PT709 is definitely worth a look.
    Last edited by BionicMan; April 27th, 2011 at 07:21 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your opinions of this weapon. Nutz, love the clip grip and the tac lights! Truly space age as I'm certain Captain Kirk would have appreciated it on his travels.

I agree, the PF-9 trigger pull is not crisp and tight, suppose that could be addressed with a modification, but it is a $300.00 gun.

My money is tight now, just getting back on my feet after some economic hard times. I do like the compact size and did have a clip grip on mine before I sold it.

I think at this time I will save as much as I can and get the best gun and caliber I can afford.

Thank you all very much and safe shooting!

Ed