Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Vision as it affects concealed carry (Philadelphia)

Hey, all.

I live in Philadelphia and I'm wondering how much my vision would affect my ability to be granted a concealed carry permit. I am blind in one eye but with glasses (that I do have) I am pretty much 20/20 in my other eye. I see from my limited research that PA is a shall-issue state, but I haven't yet seen a comprehensive list of what criteria you must meet to be issued a permit. I've already downloaded the application from the PPD website. I saw all the guidelines about former arrests and convictions and history of drug use and character reputation etc. but I didn't notice anything about being physically able enough to obtain a permit. I would just call the Gun Permits Unit of the PPD but they seem to be closed for the holidays.

I apologize for my ignorance. I am from Israel where obtaining permission to carry a gun isn't nearly this daunting. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Last edited by Organichu; December 23rd, 2007 at 03:20 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Vision as it affects concealed carry

I don't understand how this would present a problem. From what I understand, you will get a LTCF unless you are prohibited by statutes which are layed out plainly.

If you don't fall under any of those prohibitions, you should be good to go.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Smykal View Post
    I don't understand how this would present a problem. From what I understand, you will get a LTCF unless you are prohibited by statutes which are layed out plainly.

If you don't fall under any of those prohibitions, you should be good to go.
    So fully blind people can be granted CCW permits?

Wow, I guess this won't present an issue at all, then. Thanks a bunch!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    So fully blind people can be granted CCW permits?

Wow, I guess this won't present an issue at all, then. Thanks a bunch!
    How would a blind person fill out the application?

Fact is, no one at the Sheriff's office is going to know you are blind in one eye.

My younger sister (11y/o) lost her right eye about 7 months ago in a pool accident. She had some pretty great surgery, and a prosthetic that connects to the muscles in her eye, so that the false eye actually moves when her other eye does. It's not perfect yet, as the muscles are still adapting, but no one notices it. At most people might think she has a bit of a lazy eye.

Point being, no one is going to notice, and I don't think they can check your medical records (if you even have any).

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Smykal View Post
    How would a blind person fill out the application?

Fact is, no one at the Sheriff's office is going to know you are blind in one eye.

My younger sister (11y/o) lost her right eye about 7 months ago in a pool accident. She had some pretty great surgery, and a prosthetic that connects to the muscles in her eye, so that the false eye actually moves when her other eye does. It's not perfect yet, as the muscles are still adapting, but no one notices it. At most people might think she has a bit of a lazy eye.

Point being, no one is going to notice, and I don't think they can check your medical records (if you even have any).
    Pardon, I think my example was a bit flippant. I shouldn't have literally used blindness as an example. I just mean any physical impediment that might hinder your a.) judgment regarding when to shoot and when not to shoot or b.) accuracy in shooting.

I didn't realize that it was such a hands-off process (acquiring a CCW permit). I figured you'd need to provide medical records that endorse your capability of handling a concealed firearm.

I guess I misunderstood the term 'shall-issue'. The text I encountered was:

"...A shall-issue jurisdiction, within the context of gun law, is one that requires a permit to carry a concealed handgun, but where the granting of such permits subject only to meeting certain criteria laid out in the law...."

I think I'd fictionalized 'certain criteria' to mean much more than it actually does. So basically the only 'criteria' I need to meet are the ones listed on the application (not be a fugitive from justice, not have a protective order against you, etc.)?

That definitely clears it up for me. Thanks again, Jon. I appreciate your assistance.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    Pardon, I think my example was a bit flippant. I shouldn't have literally used blindness as an example. I just mean any physical impediment that might hinder your a.) judgment regarding when to shoot and when not to shoot or b.) accuracy in shooting.

I didn't realize that it was such a hands-off process (acquiring a CCW permit). I figured you'd need to provide medical records that endorse your capability of handling a concealed firearm.

I guess I misunderstood the term 'shall-issue'. The text I encountered was:

"...A shall-issue jurisdiction, within the context of gun law, is one that requires a permit to carry a concealed handgun, but where the granting of such permits subject only to meeting certain criteria laid out in the law...."

I think I'd fictionalized 'certain criteria' to mean much more than it actually does. So basically the only 'criteria' I need to meet are the ones listed on the application (not be a fugitive from justice, not have a protective order against you, etc.)?

That definitely clears it up for me. Thanks again, Jon. I appreciate your assistance.
    Anytime! I am not sure how Philadelphia is with issue time, but in Bucks county it was VERY quick (and easy).

I filled out the application, chatted with the girl at the counter, she took my picture, and they printed out a little plastic card with my picture and info.

"All set!", she said. The look on my face must have been priceless, I did not expect it to be that easy, or fast.

May be DanP or another Philly member can comment on how long it will take in Philly.

(Philadelphia County)

Noted. I edited the thread title to reflect my location so hopefully it will attract some others from Philly.

EDIT: oops, looks as though I can't edit the actual thread title, just the title of the first post. Ah well.

(Venango County)

Not long ago there was a thread someone started on whether blind people should be allowed carry or not. If I can find I will post a link later.

It was interesting some are against it, vehemently so. I think it would be ok, as the blind will most likely use it in a grappling/contact method. Which would be one safe way of doing it. Given that, why deny?

Enjoy, I hope you get one soon. Be safe.

(Philadelphia County)

There is no eye test in order to obtain the LTCF in philly.

I'd have no problems with you walking around armed if you can see good enough to shoot well. You don't have to read what's silkscreened on an assailant's shirt before you stop him from killing you.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks much, guys.