Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Izmash polymer stamped AK stock

I have an SGL21-66 and I do not like the KVAR made US stock, it just seems to flimsy and I know that they use the same Russian molds but I feel that the Russian Izmash stocks are worth experimenting on and think they are more heavy duty and would feel more genuine. Does anyone know a place where you can get Russian made polymer stamped stocks?

Is this going to upset the 922R compliance of my SGL21 if I replace the KVAR stock with the Russian made one?

Regards,
    Ryan

(Washington County)

Default Re: Izmash polymer stamped AK stock

Here's a sidefolder, but it ain't cheap: Buttstock Assembly

EDIT: If you read the reviews though, there's a guy that is less than thrilled with his. Something about it being civilian spec rather than mil spec. Might be something worth checking into.

Looks complicated to install too... lots of rivets.
    Last edited by marinville; April 26th, 2011 at 10:05 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Under Federal Law, all imported Semi-Auto Rifles and Shotguns are under 922r Compliance. (1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings (2) Barrels (3) Barrel extensions: NONE XX (4) Mounting blocks (trunions) (5) Muzzle attachments: NONE unless Applicable (6) Bolts (7) Bolt carriers (8) Operating rods: NONE XX (9) Gas pistons (10) Trigger housings: NONE XX (11) Triggers (12) Hammers (13) Sears (14) Disconnectors: NONE XX (15) Butt stocks (16) Pistol grips (17) Forearms, hand guards (18) Magazine bodies (19) Magazine Follower (20) Magazine Floor plate 15 parts under 922r Regulations 16 parts if you have a muzzle break...

the SGL's comes with 6 US made parts, I am not positive but I believe they are: the furniture (3 parts), FCG, Mag & mag floor plate. If I am correct on the parts, if you replace the US stock with a foreign one, you must add an additional US part (gas piston or muzzle brake would be the choice) However, check the muzzle device to see if it is stamped "US".

(Washington County)

Here is more info on that K-var folder, from The AK Forum. I would just link to the thread, but you have to be logged in to view the page.

Quote Originally Posted by jar420
    One thing you guys should know about the Russian stock that's on the SGL 31-94 as well as the stock they sell by itself...is that it's the commercial model. The 5.5mm pin is relieved in the center to accomodate the disconnect required in Europe that prevents the rifle from firing while folded.

K-Var leaves that part out in their shadiness. I sent mine back, that pin is breakage waiting to happen with the center milled away as much as it is. I was fortunate to find a private seller a few months back with a Red Jacket converted SGL-10 with a REAL Russian 5.5mm Stock...the pin is not relieved on this one and it has the Izzy logo...another thing the K-Var stock is missing.
    And here is some info about installation:

Quote Originally Posted by omega88
    It will fit any AK varient after the reciever is cut drilled etc. for the new trunnion that this type of stock requires, in other words it is NOT a drop in part. I did my own installation and it involves a good deal of fine hand grinding and continuos test fitting, plus detail fileing, then riviting the trunnion in with the right tools (my tools are home made and barely adequate) ,It would be best to have it done if you dont have the right tools and experience (I have built a dozen or so AKs) .

(Monroe County)

THe only "authentic stock" for a AK is a wood set , All plastic stocks are fakes and Frauds, the only country that made a plastic stock for its AK's were east Germany, everything else is fake.

Put a nice wood set on that baby and it shine.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    THe only "authentic stock" for a AK is a wood set , All plastic stocks are fakes and Frauds, the only country that made a plastic stock for its AK's were east Germany, everything else is fake.

The Russians have been using polymer stocks since 1992. The side-folding stock I linked above is made in the Izhmash factory in Izhevsk, Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by The AK-47 and AK-74 KALASHNIKOV RIFLES and Their Variations By Joe Poyer

AK-74M

A "modernized" (the "M" designation) version of the new assault rifle was standardized in 1992. The new rifle was equipped with either a fixed (AK-74M) or a new folding buttstock (AKS-74M). The new furniture made of a glass-filled polyamide that was originally plum in color, but later was made in black, see Figure 1-14.

The laminated wood furniture had not stood up well to the rough use in the dessert and mountainous terrain, and the heat and cold of the Afghan climate had delaminated stocks and forends...

(Allegheny County)

Not that I stake a huge amount of faith in KVAR. But I HIGHLY doubt you're going to get any large increase in stalwart-ness? from the Russian stamped stock.

My PSL stock set that I picked up from confederated arms uses a real Russian stock before they modify it to fit a PSL. While the stock was nice. Magic unicorns of forged steel didn't fly out and shoot rainbows out of their asses. Overall build quality didn't seem any different really than the KVAR furniture I have on my AK. It was heavier because it was a different style, but not awe inspiring. In fact, I sold it and put the wood back on. I liked that better in the end.

Or put more simply. I think you're chasing ghosts. Not only is what you want probably not going to be easy to get, and expensive. I don't think it's going to be any higher quality than what you already have.

I really wanted that polymer side folder Marinville was talking about. Except... it's like $250-300 AND a total pitfa to get on the rifle. Otherwise I would have done that probably two years ago.

I hate to agree or even feed into the type of posts nyman makes, but even though he's completely wrong (factually) he's still kinda right. Almost all of my AK's wear wood now and I like it better than the polymer stock sets. Weight difference is almost negligible, and it makes it look more like what an AK looks like in my mind. If I ever get an AK74, it will get the polymer set I have and I think it would look more "right" that way.

(Bucks County)

The only site I have found that has one is this one, anyone have any experience with this site?
    http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_furniture.htm

They have the black Izhmash stock for £26-00, so that is Euros, so that is like $38.00 and that is reasonable. Shipping would probably be a bitch though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by senorlinc View Post
    Under Federal Law, all imported Semi-Auto Rifles and Shotguns are under 922r Compliance. (1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings (2) Barrels (3) Barrel extensions: NONE XX (4) Mounting blocks (trunions) (5) Muzzle attachments: NONE unless Applicable (6) Bolts (7) Bolt carriers (8) Operating rods: NONE XX (9) Gas pistons (10) Trigger housings: NONE XX (11) Triggers (12) Hammers (13) Sears (14) Disconnectors: NONE XX (15) Butt stocks (16) Pistol grips (17) Forearms, hand guards (18) Magazine bodies (19) Magazine Follower (20) Magazine Floor plate 15 parts under 922r Regulations 16 parts if you have a muzzle break...

the SGL's comes with 6 US made parts, I am not positive but I believe they are: the furniture (3 parts), FCG, Mag & mag floor plate. If I am correct on the parts, if you replace the US stock with a foreign one, you must add an additional US part (gas piston or muzzle brake would be the choice) However, check the muzzle device to see if it is stamped "US".
    Yeah, the SGL21 has a US made muzzle break. So if I take off the US made stock and put on a Russian one, it will make it in conflict with 922R?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post

Sorry but the Russians and Bulgarians use them. If you count bakelite, then add the romanian, chinese to it.

Some of the newer versions that Poland is producing uses plastics too.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanRevolution View Post
    The only site I have found that has one is this one, anyone have any experience with this site?
    http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_furniture.htm

They have the black Izhmash stock for £26-00, so that is Euros, so that is like $38.00 and that is reasonable. Shipping would probably be a bitch though.
    That site is fine. Word of caution. Submit all but the last four digits of your CC number. Then call and give them those missing numbers. A number of people have had fraudulent charges when submitting their numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast