Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Advice on CC pistol

Hello everyone,

I know there are a million answers on this subject but I thought I would put it out there to get some of your thoughts. I currently have a Glock 22 but I am trying to do some research for a smaller carry gun for an inside the waist band holster. I don't know if I should go with a 9mm or something different I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks Jim

Default Re: Advice on CC pistol

If you already have a G22, then I would say a G27 or even a G23 is a good choice. You can also use the 22's mags in the 23 and the 27 if you want to. I wouldn't add another round to the mix if I didn't have to and .40 is a capable round. Keep it simple.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Philadelphia County)

I mean, you need to be a little more concise. Do you want to stay with the Glock platform? Do you want something thin? What caliber do you prefer? Etc. The list really goes on.

(Monroe County)

If you could provide more information about what specific attributes you're looking for in a CC gun we could be more helpful. I've been CC'ing full size guns for 3 years and it's not an issue with a good holster/gun belt. I know other people who couldn't conceal a spoon if their lives depended on it.

I'm currently carrying a Gen 4 Glock 22 daily and CC'ing it. I have no issues and I'm using a holster from the Galco Triton line up. It's a decent holster for the money and it's a clip on for easy on and off. Of course, you need to have a quality belt for this kind of holster to work, and for many even then a clip set up is not ideal. There are better IWB/CC holster options, but if I can get away with a rudimentary holster like the triton I can probably get a great conceal with a Crossbreed supertuck or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Pike County)

Thank you for the responses. I am very comfortable with my Glock 22 but I was just thinking of going to something smaller. I like the .40 cal capability but I would be open to looking at a 9mm. It's just when you get comfortable with something you tend to stick with it. I was thinking about the 23 or 27 but I don't know yet. I prefer the IWB to open carry but like I said just trying to get some input.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Advice on CC pistol

Generally speaking, the LARGEST caliber, you can RELIABLY control (hit consistently what you're aiming at), and DEFTLY manipulate - even under stress - AND can adequately (i.e. without printing!) CONCEAL on your body... is your ideal CCW.

Now if you're a 5' 1" 98lb female, Dirty Harry Callahan's 6" bbl'd .44 Magnum is probably out.

I'm 6' tall, 245lbs though, so my 5" bbl'd 1911 is IN.

YOUR mileage may vary, but there is surely no SHORTAGE of makes, models, and calibers out there to experiment with, until you find what works for you!

(Montgomery County)

I'm still relatively new to CC, having only started about 4 months ago. What I've learned so far is that I enjoy having at least two CC options, and that even different holsters may come in to play on any given day.

My default carry is a 3" bbl 1911 in a Mitch Rosen OWB holster. I usually carry untucked and this setup is easy to conceal. Sometimes, however, I opt for an IWB holster if I feel the need to have the gun feel more "secured." When it comes to adequate personal protection, I am a FIRM believer in comfort, reliability and accuracy over anything else, including firepower. That said, I will admit that it gives me a great sense of security knowing that I have all of that PLUS a kickass .45 caliber round.

Of course, there are times when carrying even a compact 1911 doesn't really suit what I'm doing or what I'm wearing. For those days, I prefer a Sig P238, which I carry in a clip-on IWB Holsterpro holster. I'm very comfortable with this weapon as well, despite the much smaller caliber. If you care to see the review I wrote after getting it (or see a pic in the IWB holster), you can look here: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/13...-few-pics.html

To be perfectly honest, there are times when I convince myself that I might even want something in between those two, in a 9mm or a .40. But I think that's mostly me just looking for another justification to add to my collection. :-) In any event, good luck.

(Pike County)

adoddere,

I also am relatively new to the sport and carrying. I have been carrying for about 5 years now and my feeling is that G22 is getting a bit awkward to carry. I love the SIG nice pics. Thanks for your input and advice. I am going to have to try a bunch of different pistols to get the feeling I am looking for. Thanks everyone.

(Bucks County)

I just picked up a g27 and it conceals really nicely. It is nice that it takes the 22 mags as well.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Chester County)

i cc a taurus 650cia in .357 in an iwb holster cant even feel that its there after a while. and .357 is plenty of stopping power should you need it.