Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Groundhog Hunting

My buddy and I are looking to get out and do some grounhog hunting this summer. The only problem is neither of us own property to do so. So I was just wondering if there were any farmers or land owners out there that would allow us to rid their property of these varmits.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Groundhog Hunting

Most farmers are more than happy to let you hunt for groundhogs.Do some leg work before you plan to hunt.In other words go out and talk to some landowners and ask permission,offer to help with farm work etc.

(Washington County)

Ive been looking for the same thing.
    I live near cannonsburg.
    Ill post back here if I find anywhere.

I have been hunting hogs for several years. The way that works for me is to take a ride through the farm country at this time of year on a sunny day before the hay fields get to high. With a pair of binos check them out. If you can spot just two or three at a time now, you'll see many more after they start cutting the hay around the 1st week of June. Also the young of the year are out and can survive on their own. If you hunt them to soon you'll take out a lot of the females with young, that won't survive without them. This will eliminate potential targets and shooting during the summer. I never start before Memorial Day. If the farms you scout also have a game commission sign posted that lets you know they permit hunting, it is more pleasant asking these land owners permission. Once you get a few farms established and get to know the owners they can lead you to other farms. You'll also want to check out the soybean fields in early summer, after they start getting tall it makes them hard to spot, the hogs love their bean plants. I keep a small tablet with me and mark down how many I take on each farm each time I leave, this way when I talk with the owners throughout the season, I can keep them updated. Good luck!

(Clinton County)

Just scoped my 22lr...ready for action.

(Washington County)

Haven't seen many this year so far. I'm sure they'll be out once we get some sun.
    I have farms all around me but, the owners enjoy hunting them too and are pretty quick at getting them. My property is mostly wooded so I don't get many. I spotted one a few weekends ago in the back of my small field, where I usually setup targets, but haven't seen him since. I shot a couple last year and now it looks like rabbits have taken up refuge in the old burrows, which will be great come fall.

This guy was one of them. He was an elusive bugger, which made it that much more fun.
    "The best investment on earth is earth."

(Washington County)

SGL 232 just outside of Taylorstown. Take the Taylorstown exit off of 70, go north on 221 thru taylorstown to Greencove Rd, Make a right onto Greencove, lots of fields that hold lots of hogs off to the right and at the top of the road on the left.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.