Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Mausers Mausers

(Lycoming County)

Default Mausers Mausers

I've been reading more and more and understand less and less about the current Mausers being offered. Model 98 Model 48? The Serbs made their own on German tooling? No, they captured German weapons and refurbished them? Matching numbers? No. they were all torn down and numbers will never match? Guess I'm just a dummy. What's right?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Mausers Mausers

Quote Originally Posted by crazy charlie View Post
    I've been reading more and more and understand less and less about the current Mausers being offered. Model 98 Model 48? The Serbs made their own on German tooling? No, they captured German weapons and refurbished them? Matching numbers? No. they were all torn down and numbers will never match? Guess I'm just a dummy. What's right?

Might get some information here

http://www.surplusrifle.com/riflepartslist.asp

Scroll down the rifle types on the left. scroll down for articles on mausers on the right

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/index.asp

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Sounds like you're starting from scratch. First, a suggestion...read up on Mauser history (link), and the developments that led to the model 1898 (details - more).

Regarding the K98 & M48 rifles, they're very close in design but the M48 is post W.W.II, which reduces collector interest. The M48 is a fine rifle, the example I had was very serviceable and was made to very high machining standards.

Captured K98s were used in Yugoslavia, some 98s were made there (Prezduce factory marked) further adding to confusion.
    The two drawbacks were:
    • Lack of W.W.II relevance, which is a subjective issue on my part
    • Difference receiver dimensions, which means some aftermarket parts like stocks and one-piece scope mounts that fit the K98 will not fit the M48.
    Of the two, the model 98 had a profound effect on bolt action rifle design, the M48 was a post war variant that appeared in a Balkan country, Yugoslavia as I recall. Of the two, my preference is by far the 98, since it's widely supported and parts abound. It appears the M48 is still in production (see Zastava's web page).

Other links of interest:
    Wikipedia - the K98
    Unofficial 98 site (Poland)
    guns.ru (Russia) - Mauser model 98
    Yugoslavian "Mystery" 98 Mauser
    Yugoslavian M48B Mauser Rifle
    Discussion after a similar post after a Yugo Mauser purchase

Appearance-wise, the K98 will have the rear sight exposed, the M48 upper handguard extends back to the receiver ring. Compare these two photos.
    K98:

Yugo Mausers

There are countless variations in details. Notice the variation even in these buttplates, some are flat, others are "cupped". It's too exhaustive for the scope of this post, so hopefully there's enough information to cover the basics and help you decide on which Mauser interest you.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lycoming County)

Thanks PA Rifleman. Good photos and good clarification.