Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Choosing a shooting club in Philadelphia area ...

I live in Lafayette Hill (near intersection of 476 and 76 just west of Philly). I bought a membership to Targetmaster a few months ago and shoot there regularly. It's got a lot of good things going for it (mostly that you can shoot almost anything as fast as you can do so safely). However, I want to get into action pistol shooting and join a club that fosters those types of competitions. I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance (e.g., Targetmaster is a 40 minute drive one way on a good day).

I'm currently considering Lower Providence R&GC (about 25 minutes away) and Delaware County F&S (about 35 minutes away). Lower Providence seems to have an action pistol committee and a couple of shoots (USPSA and IDPA) a month. I can't really tell from the website info what Del. County does (maybe something called "hostage pin", according to the event calendar, which is a total mystery to me).

I'd appreciate hearing from those who have experience with either club, particularly from the action pistol perspective. Also, are there other options that are similar distances away that I should be considering? Thanks in advance.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Choosing a shooting club in Philadelphia area ...

You wouldn't have to join LPRGC to participate in the IDPA or USPSA matches. They are open to the public.

Actually most clubs that host those competitions are open to the public.

(Philadelphia County)

I've been considering holmesburg which is outdoors and close by but is 25 yes only for pistol, haven't been to delco yet but I love langhorne rgc but it's pretty far.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by adoddere View Post
    I live in Lafayette Hill (near intersection of 476 and 76 just west of Philly). I bought a membership to Targetmaster a few months ago and shoot there regularly. It's got a lot of good things going for it (mostly that you can shoot almost anything as fast as you can do so safely). However, I want to get into action pistol shooting and join a club that fosters those types of competitions. I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance (e.g., Targetmaster is a 40 minute drive one way on a good day).

I'm currently considering Lower Providence R&GC (about 25 minutes away) and Delaware County F&S (about 35 minutes away). Lower Providence seems to have an action pistol committee and a couple of shoots (USPSA and IDPA) a month. I can't really tell from the website info what Del. County does (maybe something called "hostage pin", according to the event calendar, which is a total mystery to me).

I'd appreciate hearing from those who have experience with either club, particularly from the action pistol perspective. Also, are there other options that are similar distances away that I should be considering? Thanks in advance.
    I've shot at all 3 ranges you mentioned (targetmaster, LPRGC, and DFS)

I personally prefer LPRGC because of their indoor pistol range. the 1 thing I don't like about their club is the amount of meetings you have to attend to become a member and the mandatory community service. but, when I was there, there wasn't a single person there which I find pleasant.

DFS isn't bad, but they only have 1 lane AFAIK where you can shoot closer than 25 yards if I'm not mistaken and it was broken the last time I was there.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Philadelphia County)

I'd hesitate to join DCFS if your primary reason to do those action type matches.

They do hold "bowling pin" matches on occasion (I've never been to one) but you'll never get to practice that kind of stuff unless there is a match. All other times it is paper targets only, 5 rounds to a mag, no drawing from a holster, etc. As mentioned, there is one lane with a movable target backer (it's fixed) but all other lanes require you to shoot at either 50' or 25 yards (which is a pain although actually does kind of force you to shoot better).

It's a fine club but based on what you are interested in, may not be what you want.