Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Budget CC Pistol suggestions needed

Recently a new and fairly compelling entry has been added to my rather long list of reasons to start carrying a firearm. My mother is a psychologist, and she now has two clients who were raised in a Satanic cult and now want out. It's a long story, but recently some members of this cult whose identities are not known with enough certainty to hold up in court have made threats on my life as a way to get to my mother. I sincerely doubt they are going to act on that, but they are certainly capable of it, and either way it's a good excuse to get a gun.

However, being a full-time ministry school student, I am on a pretty tight budget. My father has a fairly large revolver that I can carry, but it's a .22LR. As it stands, barring a miracle, it's going to be a month or so before I have the money for an adequate gun and enough ammunition to learn how to use it properly, and my upper limit on price for the gun is going to have to be around $300.

I tend to frequent some places where open carry would be frowned upon, and my LTCF is in process, so I'm looking for something to conceal. However, I usually carry around a satchel anyway, so I can keep a gun in there and it doesn't need to be tiny. I honestly don't know enough about guns to know what I want, but I've done some research, and I know enough to know what I need to learn about how to use one.

There's basically four groups of guns I'm looking at:

-Really cheap .38 Special Revolver (I know revolvers are generally very reliable, but does that extend to the real cheap ones?)
    Example: http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/...s-p-28325.html

-Slightly more reputable .38 Special, like a Taurus. (Is the reliability worth the price and size?)

-Kel-Tec P-11 or PF-9. Really tiny 9mm handguns. (Are they reliable? And are they tolerable enough to shoot at the range?)

-9mm pistol of reasonable size in the $300 range. The Smith & Wesson Sigma, Taurus 24/7, and Ruger P95 are in this category. (Are they nice enough to justify the extra size and cost over the sub-compacts?)

I really appreciate any advice you guys could offer. Thanks in advance.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Budget CC Pistol suggestions needed

I own and carry a Ruger P95.They are no doubt on the bulky side,but are excellent shooters.Durable and reliable .Sometimes a little hard to conceal.

I believe you said you carry a satchel with you,the Ruger would conceal in that for sure.As far as the others go,I'm sure someone will chime in with they're opinions.

(Wayne County)

I def. recommend a wheelgun if your new to firearms get a used smith or a taurus but if your real tight on money get a kel tec their very reliable

this is on the first page of the classifieds here, no doubt there are more.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/13...r-pistols.html

(York County)

You may want to consider a holster rather than a satchel. The satchel will make it hard to draw from should you need it in a hurry. Fanny packs aren't the rage but one of those would be better than a satchel (in my opinion). There are videos on youtube that show ways of modifying them to carry a gun (to save you some dough).

On the type of gun I'd have to agree with a revolver. They are inexpensive (relatively) and reliable. If you see one you like ask on here I'm sure you will get lots of opinons as to it's quality and value (worth the price).

Sid

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    this is on the first page of the classifieds here, no doubt there are more.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/13...r-pistols.html
    I strongly do not recommend the Bryco Jennings davis ilk of pistols, Google shows several examples of the design defect these firearms are prone to (and I own a Davis and will never shoot it again). A Taurus .38 +P rated revolver should suit you adequately. A belt carry holster and you should practice drawing with an EMPTY pistol. Get some training and range time.

Sorry, Welcome to the wonderful world of Firearms for self defense and the PAFOA forums!
    Last edited by bigandy1966; April 25th, 2011 at 02:00 PM.

Just one question: What is your life worth? A SD gun is not someplace to cheap out. In your situation, especially, it is worth carrying the debt. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

I got to a private Christian university in Philly so I understand the predicament you are in. I have, carry, and trust my life to a pf9. It is not a range gun at all, it isn't marketed as one though. It's the worlds lightest and thinnest 9mm for carry.

If you have time and want to try out mine let me know. I would be more than happy to meet up. Also, I know of a shop in Allentown that has both the pf9 and p11 in stock for $250 otd.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    I got to a private Christian university in Philly so I understand the predicament you are in. I have, carry, and trust my life to a pf9. It is not a range gun at all, it isn't marketed as one though. It's the worlds lightest and thinnest 9mm for carry.

If you have time and want to try out mine let me know. I would be more than happy to meet up. Also, I know of a shop in Allentown that has both the pf9 and p11 in stock for $250 otd.
    I have seen some Glocks out there for under 400.00. What school do you attend?
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Lawrence County)

I bought my P95 used, shot over 20,000 rounds out of it, and sold it working like the day I got it... It is a little big, but I'm a big guy and it wasn't a problem for me... The newer ones have textured grips, mine had grip tape. It was also my USPSA competition gun... You can find them new for under $300... Try one out and see how you like it...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast