Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Ruger SR9-C Opinions?

Interested in any positive or negative EXPERIENCES with a Ruger SR9-C. Worth buying? Worthy candidate for CC?

Any and all tips are appreciated.....thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ruger SR9-C Opinions?

basically it's a good pistol, the safety is poorly sized and shaped, you will get jabbed or even cut on it sooner or later. the magazine is nearly identical to the M&P mag, but holds two rounds less. the loaded chamber indicator is a big foolish semaphore flag atop the slide.

ruger took a decent design and made it less desirable, they could mess up a one car funeral!
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    basically it's a good pistol, the safety is poorly sized and shaped, you will get jabbed or even cut on it sooner or later. the magazine is nearly identical to the M&P mag, but holds two rounds less. the loaded chamber indicator is a big foolish semaphore flag atop the slide.

ruger took a decent design and made it less desirable, they could mess up a one car funeral!
    welll... as stated... they do make it known that it is their product.. the loaded chamber indicator he is talking about does look large however the edge that contacts the casing can be filed off so it wont stick up.. the part that catches my eye most is the fact that out of everyone i know who has an sr9 or sr9c i know of maybe 3 malfunctions. i have almost 2k through mine and have had no problems what so ever.. so if you are looking to possily carry it im thinking the reliability aspect may be worth more than looks...

(Allegheny County)

i have a full size and compact and they are both very reliable, just stating the drawbacks. i have been hoping MecGar would put out full cap mags for the compact. it really should holed two more rounds and the M&P mags would fit if you made the proper cut for them. i did take dummy rounds and hold the M&P mag in the well firmly and they did feed by hand.

who knows, make the right cuts and you could maybe use them. i won't be cutting up pricey mags to test it though! I'm trimming the chamber flag myself. thought about removing it, but it leaves an unsightly hole in the top of the slide!
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Franklin County)

I have had my SR9C since Christmas, wifey bought it for me. I have put roughly 1500 rounds through it and have had no problems. Now if this makes any sense, my uncle who shoots left handed had problems when shooting it, he would then hand it off to me and I would finish off the magazine.

Now one thing I will warn you of, which most new owners will verify. The slide is very tight, hard to rack in the beginning, but it does loosen up after awhile.

I CC and OC with it, that is until I get my stainless 1911

(Lehigh County)

i have a full size and compact and they are both very reliable, just stating the drawbacks. i have been hoping MecGar would put out full cap mags for the compact. it really should holed two more rounds and the M&P mags would fit if you made the proper cut for them. i did take dummy rounds and hold the M&P mag in the well firmly and they did feed by hand.

who knows, make the right cuts and you could maybe use them. i won't be cutting up pricey mags to test it though! I'm trimming the chamber flag myself. thought about removing it, but it leaves an unsightly hole in the top of the slide!
    amen to that!! theres a guy over on the rugerforum.com who makes high cap mags for the sr9 but they look a little rough....dont blend well with the sr9's at all... place is called galloway precision.... im waiting for him to make an aftermarket threaded barrel!!

on a side note.. does the m&p mag sit flush with the mag well on the sr9? cuz the extra +2 is always nice..

(Cambria County)

I am a little confused with what you are saying. The SR9C mag comes in BOTH 10 round and 17 round. Are you saying you want a mag for your SR9C that holds more than the 17?

----------------------------

Anyway, to the OP... I carry mine everyday and I am happy with the size and weight. I use the 10 RD mag with gun the holstered and the 17 as a back up.

I don't mind the red "loaded" indicator. Yes, the safety does tend to catch the skin on my thumb right at the first knuckle bend. I did take a file to it and rounded it off a little bit. (better now).

You will not likely be able to use the slide button to release the slide as you would with some other pistols. Just remember it is a slide lock button and NOT a slide release. (you can sling-shot the slide to load your round)

The SR9C shoots accurate for me and has a very manageable recoil. Just fun at the range and practicing. I like mine.

Here's some of my carry gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Allegheny County)

the 17 round mags are for the full size pistol and also fit into the compact. i meant the 10 round ones which are nearly identical to the 12 round M&P mags. they should hold 12 rounds but don't. these 10 round mags come with either a flat floorplate or a finger rest one.

It's a good pistol and ruger just messed up some of the details. the safety is too short and is very hard to reengage without shifting your shooting grip. if they had made the lever a little longer and radiused it some it would have been much better and more functional.

If you happen to have small hands this is a great pistol and very flat in the grip as well as having a good trigger reach.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Centre County)

I'm interested to know if the "grip extension," (not the extended mag), that you can add allows a guy with fairly large hands to get a decent grip with his 5th finger (pinky) on the SR9C.

I'm looking for a reliable, sleek little 9mm with a big enough grip, or grip extendability to get the grip of a pseudo-full size.

The SR9C seems to fit this bill, but I've never held one.

Thoughts?

(To give a better idea of my search status, I'm currently debating between SR9, SR9C and an FNP9.)
    Defend the Just with Honor

(Allegheny County)

the grip extender will do that, but will be attached to the mag and not the pistol. makes carrying the spare mags pretty bulky.
    MORDENTE MEUM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast