Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What are the laws for carrying a knife in Philly?

I'm not talking a bowie knife or anything like that, just a normal lock open blade, Swiss Army, or similar knives. Can it be in your pocket or does it have to be on a belt in the open?
    Just curious.
    Thanks!!!

Tmygun:-)

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: What are the laws for carrying a knife in Philly?

From what I've read here before, you cannot carry any kind of knife in Philly, unless it's directly related to your job.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Carrying a knife in Philadelphia is illegal unless you're actively engaged in a profession or trade in which such a tool is commonly or ordinarily used. See Philadelphia Code §10-820 below:

Philadelphia Code §10-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places.

(1) Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.

(Delaware County)

Sec. 0-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places. [179]

1. Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

2. Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

3. Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.
    http://www.phila.gov/philacode/html/...s_in_Publ.html

ETA: kcr121 posted the info while I was looking it up, I did include a link to the law though.
    Last edited by soberbyker; April 22nd, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

(Montgomery County)

So, based on previous responses and Philly law one can carry a firearm (whether concealed or open) with a LTCF but cannot carry a simple pocket knife unless it's directly related to my occupation? That makes no sense. But then again we are talking about Philly laws here.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    So, based on previous responses and Philly law one can carry a firearm (whether concealed or open) with a LTCF but cannot carry a simple pocket knife unless it's directly related to my occupation? That makes no sense. But then again we are talking about Philly laws here.
    The only reason firearms are not banned is because they are preempted under state law.

What Philly SHOULD have done is outlaw the carrying of knives by unemployed people with criminal convictions, and minors, and anyone who starts a fight or commits a crime. Add it on to to the actual crime involving a victim, don't make it a stand-alone offense for someone going fishing who has a gutting knife in his gear.

In today's world, EVERY profession requires the occasional use of a knife or razor. You can't open a retail blister pack of pens or a stapler, it's difficult to penetrate the safety seal of a quart of motor oil, it's hard to unwrap a DVD, without a tool that pierces plastic and opens it up. We have a mobile work force, it's appropriate for most workers to have a scissors or pocket knife to unwrap or unjam or otherwise deal with recalcitrant products common to offices and homes.

I wonder how often this is enforced?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

This isn't that widely enforced though. Just my experience. Don't attract attention to your waistline or yourself from the police and you should be fine with any knife. By waistline, I mean the place the knife is stored. I can think of no sane minded man who would venture into the world without a knife lest he be the kind of man that can employ any object as a weapon in a time of need for defense.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    What Philly SHOULD have done is outlaw the carrying of knives by unemployed people with criminal convictions, and minors, and anyone who starts a fight or commits a crime. Add it on to to the actual crime involving a victim, don't make it a stand-alone offense for someone going fishing who has a gutting knife in his gear.

In today's world, EVERY profession requires the occasional use of a knife or razor. You can't open a retail blister pack of pens or a stapler, it's difficult to penetrate the safety seal of a quart of motor oil, it's hard to unwrap a DVD, without a tool that pierces plastic and opens it up. We have a mobile work force, it's appropriate for most workers to have a scissors or pocket knife to unwrap or unjam or otherwise deal with recalcitrant products common to offices and homes.

I wonder how often this is enforced?
    A friend was pulled over on his motorcycle, because he was riding a motorcycle, well the cops said it was because of the 4" sheath knife on his belt.

(Lancaster County)

I carry a leatherman that has a knife on it, but obviously that is not it's primary focus as being a knife. Is that included in their idiotic law?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast