Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What are the laws for carrying a knife in Philly?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I carry a leatherman that has a knife on it, but obviously that is not it's primary focus as being a knife. Is that included in their idiotic law?
    Yes, unless you're actively using it in a trade or profession. This is why we need knife preemption in Pennsylvania.

(1) Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

(Centre County)

Apparently I've been a criminal in Philadelphia since I was 6 years old. What a totally impractical law.

If you look at a lot of weapons laws they typically ban whatever the "lower classes" and "undesirable elements" could afford, had access to, had cultural preference for, and would carry for self-defense. This is like saying you only have a right to self preservation if you are the right class/income bracket.

I truly believe the spirit of the second amendment (which is often assumed to be only about guns) is really about the right to preserve one's self from physical harm, and that in spirit that would include ANY defensive weapons.

It's about being allowed to exist equally without interference from the state.

The first amendment gives me a means to be equal if others are louder than me.

The second amendment gives me a means to be equal if others are stronger than me.

Am I missing something or could it really be that simple? (I think it was supposed to be).

I carry a small pocket knife all the time.
    I'm suppose to read up on knife laws now before I travel the state?

a knife, a clean hanky, and a gun: stuff a guy can use! -Ted Nugent
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

filthy needs to stop considering itself its own state and making its own laws.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSociety View Post
    filthy needs to stop considering itself its own state and making its own laws.
    There's nothing to prevent "Filthy", as you refer to it, from regulating the possession of knives. As I mentioned above, this is why we need knife preemption in Pennsylvania, as you could quite easily set foot into a municipality where knives are prohibited or otherwise regulated, without even knowing it.

To my knowledge, only one state has knife preemption (Arizona), and it was passed fairly recently.

Not necessarily true. The law may be considered vague and overbroad since it illegalizes legitimate behavior. It will probably take a court case to decide. A pair of scissors may be illegal under the ordinance.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    There's nothing to prevent "Filthy", as you refer to it, from regulating the possession of knives. As I mentioned above, this is why we need knife preemption in Pennsylvania, as you could quite easily set foot into a municipality where knives are prohibited or otherwise regulated, without even knowing it.

To my knowledge, only one state has knife preemption (Arizona), and it was passed fairly recently.
    Well that would be quite awesome if we could get that done here but as with the castle doctrine, who knows how long it will take and what could be added/changed
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    A pair of scissors may be illegal under the ordinance.
    Don't forget about hatchets...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSociety View Post
    Well that would be quite awesome if we could get that done here but as with the castle doctrine, who knows how long it will take and what could be added/changed
    Have you contacted your elected representatives yet about knife laws in the Commonwealth?

There's no time like the present.

My calling is to survive and protect my family, and survival means I carry weapons to prevent evil men from taking my life, Liberty, private property and what happiness I gain from my family away from me and those who trust me to protect them. The willingness to lay down your life in defense of others has no higher calling. The true irony is Philadelphia is called the cradle of Liberty but it has become its grave.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast