Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default What do you think of the Judge Rifle?

What do you think of the Judge Rifle, I think by Iver Johnson? Based on the six shot revolver in a rifle stock remind me of the old style revolver rifles. In 45LCt/45acp & I assume 45 Casull and 410 shotgun option. I find it as a method more practical then the revolver handling wise.

I think I'd still prefer the Ruger semi auto 44 mag rifle or plain old 30-30 lever.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: What do you think of the Judge Rifle?

They are from Rossi. http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...TOKEN=50351742

I personally like the idea of them. ..another option for those that hate bolt guns like I do. They don't have a 454 Casull model yet. The ones listed are only rated for .45Colt/.410.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

I think the revolver action in a rifle looks really cool. However just like the judge I see no point. Any normal .410 shotgun or lever action would be better suited to its job than this trying to do both - neither as well.

You have to pick smooth bore or rifled this time. I can't see a smooth bore being useful for .45 Colt. So what is the point really?

The whole judge concept always was a problem in disguise as a solution in search of a problem.

:shrugs:

(Perry County)

I handled one of these in a shop. I liked it until I started thinking about having that barrel/cylinder gap so close to my left ear when shooting. I would NOT want to try that one without some serious hearing protection.
    Molon Labe

(Philadelphia County)

Same as the judge, I think I just heard Boy George drive by yelling something.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Washington County)

If they could get a nagant revolver agtion into a rifle, so it sealed the gap, that would make me interested.

I do think it is interesting that you can get a rifled choke tube for 45lc rounds, makes it a much more versitile ... piece? (not a shotgun, nor a rifle.....)

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I think the revolver action in a rifle looks really cool. However just like the judge I see no point. Any normal .410 shotgun or lever action would be better suited to its job than this trying to do both - neither as well.

You have to pick smooth bore or rifled this time. I can't see a smooth bore being useful for .45 Colt. So what is the point really?

The whole judge concept always was a problem in disguise as a solution in search of a problem.

:shrugs:
    Any smoothbore .410 specific gun will have a .410" bore. Your typical .45Colt bore is .450", with a groove of .452". Firing a .45Colt in a .410" bore barrel will result in a kaboom of the 8th degree. You can swage a bullet only so far in a barrel before bad things happen.

For these guns that are chambered .45/410, the bore is .450"/groove .452". The diameter of the .410 shell versus the .45Colt are nearly the same. The shot column of the .410 will be loose in the .45Colt barrel.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If they could get a nagant revolver agtion into a rifle, so it sealed the gap, that would make me interested.

I do think it is interesting that you can get a rifled choke tube for 45lc rounds, makes it a much more versitile ... piece? (not a shotgun, nor a rifle.....)
    The rifled choke tube is for the shotshells to stop it from turning, when using the Circuit Judge as shotgun without .45Colt cartridges - the rifling is straight in that tube, it doesn't twist.. The smooth tube is for the .45colt to act as a thread protector.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-CircuitJudge.htm
    Last edited by knight0334; April 24th, 2011 at 01:11 AM.