Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default New Compound Shooter

OK, so I'm starting this thread cause I don't really think it belongs in the Compound vs Crossbow thread.

So, I got the new bow yesterday, and shot about 20 arrows. Got whacked on the left forearm twice and have a nice bruise, and today the muscle on the back side of my right shoulder is a bit on the sore side (a little sore, like muscles can be the day after an intense workout), I'm guessing because I was using muscles that I haven't used in awhile.

I will be going to shoot again today, and will try to get my wife to take some pictures of my form to post on here.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: New Compound Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by dwalk View Post
    OK, so I'm starting this thread cause I don't really think it belongs in the Compound vs Crossbow thread.

So, I got the new bow yesterday, and shot about 20 arrows. Got whacked on the left forearm twice and have a nice bruise, and today the muscle on the back side of my right shoulder is a bit on the sore side (a little sore, like muscles can be the day after an intense workout), I'm guessing because I was using muscles that I haven't used in awhile.

I will be going to shoot again today, and will try to get my wife to take some pictures of my form to post on here.
    why? it finally made that thread worthwhile :P

Thats cool if you can get pics, we should be able to give you some pointers.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

Didn't get out last night, cause it was raining and I don't like to go outside in the rain unless I'm a)hunting or b) fishing. It's still raining a little today, so I went over to French Creek Outfitters and shot at their indoor range.

I didn't get any pictures of my form, but I feel like I did shoot much much better the second time out. No whacks on the arm shot 40 arrows today. Groups of 6 - 8" first time shooting at 20 yds, and as soon as I figure out how to get it off my phone, I'll show you the picture of one of my groups from today (all of them were about the same size, and I got the sights adjusted today as well, so everything isn't high left.)

Last edited by dwalk; April 23rd, 2011 at 01:08 PM.

(Monroe County)

let me give you some realllly great advice...

SHOOT MULTIPLE SPOTS! :P

nothing sucks worse then making an awesome robin hood shot, and then realizing you just ruined 2 arrows :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

Another guy there mentioned the same thing. He was all "Your obviously shooting straight. Shoot at more than one dot or you'll spend more money on arrows than you did on that bow."

Little does he know, I spent all of about 35 bucks on the bow $5 for the raffle ticket and around $30 for the sales tax, so I've already spent more on arrows then the bow.

(Chester County)

Wanted to update this with what I have been doing to keep working on my accuracy and strength.

I have placed my bow at the back door and the target 20 yds away from it. Every time I leave or enter the house (I use the back door cause it's closer to my garage) I fire 10 shots.

I am now able to consistently hit the 2" circles on my target with every shot from 20 yds away, and I am going to add a 2nd target at 30 yds.

(Monroe County)

just make sure you are not over doing it, 20 arrows should be 4 trips to the bag and back, if you do this every time you walk in you may end up rushing it.

Good Job Great grouping. Now heres the expensive part. 3-D shoots. You will gain a HUGE amout of yardage estimation

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    just make sure you are not over doing it, 20 arrows should be 4 trips to the bag and back, if you do this every time you walk in you may end up rushing it.
    I'm only doing 10 shots at a time each trip in or out the door (2 trips to the bag and back, usually only about 20 shots a day, sometimes more.). If I'm having any soreness or problem drawing the bow, I give myself a pass and don't do the full 10 arrows.