Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Thinking of relocating.

Long story short, I am coming to a crossroads in my life. There is a very slim possibility that I may have enough to pick up and move. My heart lies within the hills here. I grew up having a family cabin outside Marienville PA. The cabin has long been sold off but if I can, I'd like to at least find out what it would take to purchase some property in the area or even rent something. I would also be looking for work. My job expectations are not high, just enough to keep a roof over my head, food on the table, and ammo to shoot. If anyone is willing to offer any information in exploring this possibility, please feel free to IM me.

Thank you.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: Thinking of relocating.

Wow! My parents think I live deep in the woods! Well, it is cool living in ruralville, assuming that's what you like.
    You may have to put some of your ammo money towards gas money, as it looks like the average sized town/job opportunity is at least an hour away. I have to drive 70 miles to my job, because I can't afford to take what I call the "Pennsylvania pay cut" yet. The rising gas prices have been hitting my wallet hard lately.

Sounds cool living deep in the woods. I hope it works for you!

(Elk County)

What kind of job are you looking for? I would suggest looking online to see what openings are available. The natural gas industry is expanding rapidly up here, and they might have openings.

Rentals are pretty hard to come by right now, because of the expansion in the gas industry. Most of the companies are from Texas, and have sent a lot of personnel to get the operations moving. So it is good to keep in mind rental prices have gone up because of that.

If you have any specific questions ask away, and I'll try to answer them.

(Jefferson County)

There aren't many jobs in this neck of the woods. Elk County is known for their pressed and powdered metals and carbon businesses, but may of them took a hit when the auto industry folded 2-3 years ago. But as Karn Evil mentioned above, the natural gas industry is picking up.

If you dont have lingering debt, you should be able to get an average job to get by on. Housing is relatively cheap compared to a urban area. You can buy a single family house for as low as $20K if you look and are willing to do some work to it. Typically though, $30K to $60K is the ballpark for a 3bedroom house.

If you move out into the sticks with a smaller parcel you might be able to get a place cheaper - but at the expense of higher power costs for rural electric(REA) service, possibly no broadband, and no municipal water/sewage.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Elk County)

The powdered metal industries did take a hit a while back, but, the company i work for is expanding, almost at a fever pitch, like it was said, being from ny i took the pa pay cut, but, if your a single person, and dont have four kids like me, you should do pretty good. There are some inadequacies with the area, but if you like peaceful living and pretty decent folks its not a bad area. I m glad that i moved from the vampire state of NY. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.