Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default moving to new state

I recently began renting a house in Jacksonville Florida for college. Now that I am off campus, I would like to bring a few of my rifles and my shotgun to target shoot with my friends in Florida. Would I have to take any steps to stay within the constraints of the law (local/state/federal)?

Default Re: moving to new state

I would suggest talking to local PD in FL...as it's a different state with different laws...I do know that if you have a PA carry permit that FL will honor it while in FL. You should be fine with having your firearms in FL...just check with the locals and have fun shooting. When you transport...make sure the firearms are locked...no ammo in mags or in the chamber...I'd even take it a step further and keep ammo, mags and firearms in separate areas to be safe.

http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

(Philadelphia County)

No permits are neccessary for rifles, shotguns or any weapons over 26inches correct? I'm most conscerned about transporting them in my trunk in the states between PA and FL. I think I will query JSO (Jacksonville Sherrif's Office).

There is a law called the peaceable journey that states while moving you can carry in a car if you have a valid licence issued in any of the states. Mind you you only have to cross 2 states at most to get to florida where the PA CCW would not allow you. As for long arms, If they are unloaded, no munitions in the same conpartment and in locked cases, thats about all you can do to make any law enforcment agency happy. They dont have a law on cases for long arms, you would be more worried of your short arms. but at any rate, you can legally carry them in your trunk with no ammo. If you have a ccw in PA, upi can carry legally in all the purple states of this map.
    So at most you have 2 or 3 states to cross, pending where you live. As for the law you can read it here http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Frenchy,

Thanks A LOT, the info is very helpful. It enforced what i already thought was true as far as rifles are concerned (since I'm too young to purchase handguns still). Now my gun ignorant housemates can shut up about everything they dont know!

(Philadelphia County)

The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 gave firearm owners 'safe passage' to transport firearms from one destination to the other regardless of the laws in between as long as you are not stopping in the pass-through states for an extended period of time (stopping for food is fine, staying with your friend for 2 days is not)
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Chester County)

danp is correct. Becareful of maryland. Keep ammo seperate and if you can break down the weapons. I travel to FL and I transport a pistol. I keep low profile. Always remember you have weapons in the car. I have a Fl ccw so I am ok to carry in every state except south carrolina and maryland. check the us code and call the attorney general of each state if you would like. packing . org can give you the states AG phone number. most will give you something in writing if you ask.

(Allegheny County)

More than just locked cases for the firearms you may want to CYA and have a gun lock installed on each firearm. If you don't have enough gun locks then try your local police station or sheriffs office, they should have them free for the asking.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Chester County)

when I moved from Ny to pa I contacted the pa attorney general. He was very helpful. Then I broke all wepons down to non functional wepons. basicly paperweights. I had a copy of the us code with me as well as the letter from the pa ag and the print out from NJ web pages. That is the best you can do.

If you have many weapons you might be able to mail them to yourself in FL but only you can open the package. DONT DO THIS UNTIL YOU GET THE OK FROM THE BATFE

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING CHECK ALL LAWS.

good luck.