Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Collapsible buttstock for Mossberg 590

I'm looking for a good collapsible buttstock for a Mossberg 590 which also allows use of the bead sight. I would prefer a recoil reducing one so my wife can use it too, but that is not an absolute requirement.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is available and at what cost?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Collapsible buttstock for Mossberg 590

Knoxx/Blackhawk Spec-Ops:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/spe...,1158,1447.htm

List $140 Street $110ish

Love mine. I'm considering a Mesa Tactical/Endine/Magpul combo for my 590 and moving the Knoxx to my 500 "trap" gun, but now your probably talking over $400
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

We have the Knoxx Spec Ops stocks on our duty 870's & everybody seems to like them.
    Midway has them on sale for $99.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I've been doing some looking, and there are a couple of other brands out there, but there doesn't seem to be much real-world feedback on them. From what I've seen/read the Mesa Tactical is probably the best of the lot since it accurately mimics the drop on the factory stock and is probably more durable than the Knoxx/Blackhawk owing to its all aluminum construction and a better made shock absorber. However, it also costs three times as much as the Blackhawk (ouch!).

Is the Blackhawk sufficiently durable for my intended use on a HD shotgun? I want to make sure that whatever I buy is quality and will last as long as the rest of the shotgun. I know I will get that with the Mesa Tactical, but I'm less certain of that with the Blackhawk.

Also, does the Blackhawk allow for proper use of the bead sight? I believe I have read of some versions which did not, and this is important to me. Connected with this, I have read about a lot of people having problems with the Blackhawk stock smacking them in the face. Is this really a problem with the design, or is it a problem with the shooters' technique?

Would I be better off just getting a slightly shorter (youth) fixed stock? I'm of average size, but the current stock is a little long even for me. I plan on shooting reduced recoil loads, so the recoil reduction is not as important as having a properly fitting stock.

(Monroe County)

OP, the Dick's out in Easton has the Knoxx Blackhawk in the picture for $65.00, i just bought one for my son' 500.

Mike

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by y0rlik View Post
    I've been doing some looking, and there are a couple of other brands out there, but there doesn't seem to be much real-world feedback on them. From what I've seen/read the Mesa Tactical is probably the best of the lot since it accurately mimics the drop on the factory stock and is probably more durable than the Knoxx/Blackhawk owing to its all aluminum construction and a better made shock absorber. However, it also costs three times as much as the Blackhawk (ouch!).

Is the Blackhawk sufficiently durable for my intended use on a HD shotgun? I want to make sure that whatever I buy is quality and will last as long as the rest of the shotgun. I know I will get that with the Mesa Tactical, but I'm less certain of that with the Blackhawk.

Also, does the Blackhawk allow for proper use of the bead sight? I believe I have read of some versions which did not, and this is important to me. Connected with this, I have read about a lot of people having problems with the Blackhawk stock smacking them in the face. Is this really a problem with the design, or is it a problem with the shooters' technique?

Would I be better off just getting a slightly shorter (youth) fixed stock? I'm of average size, but the current stock is a little long even for me. I plan on shooting reduced recoil loads, so the recoil reduction is not as important as having a properly fitting stock.
    You're going to get distinctly varying opinions on this subject. If you run the stock collapsed and jam your face down on it like you would a normal stock. You aren't going to like it. All the guys who have been shooting on a bead with a standard stock for years try to shoot the gun the same way they always did and you just can't.

If you keep your head back and more upright which everyone is going to say decreases consistency... you'll love it. It's a HD shotgun. If your primary use is shooting things under 50yds with it, mainly buck shot and slugs... the reduction in peak recoil will make shooting all day a very unpainful experience. A lot of the gun guy reviewers don't like it. I do. The 100lb girl that wouldn't touch the 12g before now will shoot every last round I bring to the range with a huge smile on her face. She's absolutely obsessed with shotguns now. And she doesn't miss things either. Even pop cans with slugs. Buck shot patterns always end up within 1-2" of on center of the target. And she shoots it fully collapsed. So do I. Just don't jam your face on the stock where it moves and all will be OK.

That being said, if you don't want to chance it, a youth stock with a recoil pad might do what you want just the same, but be cheaper. Less dicey if you are unsure. You either like the Spec Ops or you hate it. It's not a middle ground item. I'm probably approaching the 500-600 mark of just buckshot and slugs with the stock on and I've had no problems with it. Doesn't seem to be a problem, but ymmv.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; April 27th, 2011 at 02:19 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    OP, the Dick's out in Easton has the Knoxx Blackhawk in the picture for $65.00, i just bought one for my son' 500.

Mike
    For $65 I'd expect that that is the "NRS" version without the recoil absorbing system.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100