Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Supressor for .22 rifle

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Well depending on your situation, it could be worth it. Remember that it exists forever (unless you choose to revoke it), requires no fees or filing taxes, and you can buy as many NFA items as you want with it.
    Do I still have to pay the $200 per item/firearm on top of that $500?

I wouldn't mind building a SBR as well.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    Do I still have to pay the $200 per item/firearm on top of that $500?

I wouldn't mind building a SBR as well.
    Yes you do. The first purchase will seem expensive because you have the cost of the item, PLUS 6% sales tax, PLUS the cost of the trust, PLUS the $200 tax stamp. Even if you get a low-end suppressor for $250, you are looking at about a grand. Then factor in the cost of barrel threading (or a new barrel) and it might seem not worth it...but it IS so worth it! And every purchase after that will be cheaper because you don't have to pay for the $400-500 trust again. But like I said, you WILL have to pay the $200 stamp for each item, no matter what.

Unfortunately, the $200 is every time, for every item, regardless of how you've set it up. Like bac0nfat said, your initial purchase will be more expensive, but every one after that will be minus the cost to set up the trust/corporation. But if you just get the signature and ignore the trust/llc route altogether, you save the $500 the first time too.

Personally, if you can get the signature, I would go that route (and I have). Besides the cost, you have to remember that going with a trust or corp. means it's not actually in your name, and I'm fairly certain that keeping the trust/corp. requires sending paperwork in every year. With the item in your name, it'll always be yours without any issues, but by adding the trust/corp. into the equation you create some ways for things to go wrong. Imagine if you forgot the paperwork, or it was lost in the mail, and your LLC ceased to exist. Now not only would you be illegally in possession of the item, but you would have a hard time getting it transferred... and have to pay the transfer fee again.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    Unfortunately, the $200 is every time, for every item, regardless of how you've set it up. Like bac0nfat said, your initial purchase will be more expensive, but every one after that will be minus the cost to set up the trust/corporation. But if you just get the signature and ignore the trust/llc route altogether, you save the $500 the first time too.

Personally, if you can get the signature, I would go that route (and I have). Besides the cost, you have to remember that going with a trust or corp. means it's not actually in your name, and I'm fairly certain that keeping the trust/corp. requires sending paperwork in every year. With the item in your name, it'll always be yours without any issues, but by adding the trust/corp. into the equation you create some ways for things to go wrong. Imagine if you forgot the paperwork, or it was lost in the mail, and your LLC ceased to exist. Now not only would you be illegally in possession of the item, but you would have a hard time getting it transferred... and have to pay the transfer fee again.
    The part in bold is NOT true, for trusts. They exist with no yearly paperwork. They also have other benefits besides bypassing the signature requirement. You can have multiple trusties listed on the trust, that can all have possession of the firearm legally. It also makes things simpler in the event of your death; you can name your children (or whoever) as beneficiaries to the trust and they will automatically be able to legally possess the item with no headaches from the ATF.

IANAL

(Lancaster County)

Multiple users with trusts is reason enough to have them, because otherwise even lawful spouses cannot possess NFA items in your absence, and they generally don't like that. Significant others tend to want to be able to share suppressors, even ones who otherwise ordinarily don't seem to care for shooting too much.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123