Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First pistol on layaway, SIG 226. Thoughts?

Went to the Cabela's today to look into some camo rainwear. Proceeded to spend the next hour looking at various things and trying to convince myself that I don't need them, which happens whenever I go there. Got caught looking at a CZ 452 on the used racks, the full-stock version with iron sights (plus a scope, a Tasco if I remember) and what seemed to be beechwood instead of walnut. I have always wanted a 452 lux with irons, and the look of the full-stock version has been growing on me, so I spent some time drooling over it. The price tag was only $455, but I stopped thinking about it after seeing a pre-owned Sig 226 in 9x19, with a $599 tag. It looks well carried, with some holster wear, but the barrel has very little slide wear. I had my tax-return check on my mind and must have been an obviously easy target for the guys working behind the counter, who had me sold after a few minutes. I've been thinking about getting a pistol and learning to shoot, as I've only ever owned long guns, and haven't spent time shooting pistols. I'm a buy-once-cry-once kind of guy when it comes to guns, and it seemed like the cheapest deal on a Sig I'd run into. I'd like to move someday to a .40, which can be as simple as buying another barrel and spring with the 226, according to the folks at Cabela's. I hadn't known that about the 226...
    The guy who sold it to me claimed that there was no fee for backing out on a layaway, so I figured why not have them hold it while I figure out if it's truly worth 600. I later learned, as I paid the first 25%, that there's a $25 fee for canceling a layaway. The lady who rang it up said, "Oh, I remember that Sig. When it came in it was dirty as hell. I cleaned a ton of black junk out of that thing." So what do you all think? $630 with tax seems a good price to me, but in retrospect, maybe I should call tomorrow and see if that full-stock CZ 452 is still there, and ask if they'll take it off the shelf and transfer my payment toward it instead.
    Last edited by BurningBarn; April 20th, 2011 at 11:54 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: First pistol on layaway; thoughts?

Something to consider, I don't think you can get a .40 S&W barrel for a 226 in 9mm. You could get a 9mm for one in .40.
    I'm fairly sure that's the case. I'll gladly apologize if I'm wrong.

You were wise to check around first. The Sig is a great gun, especially if it's a German gun. Is the fact that it was dirty and worn make for a bad deal? Not necessarily. Check the slide rails, make sure they aren't chewed up. If you're not comfortable field stripping the gun ask one of them to. (Sigs are pretty easy to take apart though.)

Edit; You may want to add something to your title about a Sig P226, that'll help.
    Last edited by rwb1500; April 20th, 2011 at 11:49 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Default Re: First pistol on layaway; thoughts?

Yeah, got the feeling that this guy was filling in some of his own blanks, trying to get me to buy the thing. Either way, I figure it'd be wise to start shooting a 9, as I have no experience with pistols. Cheaper to learn, of course, and the 9 is a caliber worth being able to shoot seeing as it's common.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: First pistol on layaway, SIG 226. Thoughts?

My father has a 226, great shooting gun. Not up on the current prices but doesn't seem like too bad of a deal. As far as it being dirty you should see mine after a good day at the range, 700x and a few hundred lead rounds makes for a very dirty gun. First thing you should think about is taking a basic pistol safety course. You will be amazed at things you forget over the years, I was.

Hope you enjoy which ever you decide to purchase.

(Cumberland County)

9mm is a great place to start. The P226 isn't a bad place to start, only problem I could foresee is that it's double action/ single action. The first trigger pull is long and heavy, while the subsequent pulls are short and light.

I suppose you could shoot it all single action if it's just a range gun and you're not going to carry it.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    9mm is a great place to start. The P226 isn't a bad place to start, only problem I could foresee is that it's double action/ single action. The first trigger pull is long and heavy, while the subsequent pulls are short and light.

I suppose you could shoot it all single action if it's just a range gun and you're not going to carry it.
    I actually prefer the DA/SA trigger over everything else.
    I dont think it would pose a problem for a novice shooter . Hell, may even be a little safer IMHO.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I actually prefer the DA/SA trigger over everything else.
    I dont think it would pose a problem for a novice shooter . Hell, may even be a little safer IMHO.
    How is it safer?

Booger picker off bang switch. Doesn't matter what kind of bang switch.

No intention to carry it just yet. It would be a range gun, and would find a place in the HD department, probably near the bed once I scare up the money for a nice Surefire Z2 light, or something of the sort.

(Northampton County)

I've bought used Sig's before, and my thought is that you're way overpaying. I recently saw one of my favorite online retailers selling excellent condition Certified Pre-Owned 226's for under $500. And you get a one year warranty on the CPO's. For a heavily used and worn regular 9mm 226, I think the market value would be $400 tops. To be honest, I'd eat the $25 and walk away unless you're really set on that particular rifle. Cabela's is a great place to browse, but an awful place to buy. (sky high prices, hour plus background check wait times) I've been there plenty of times to check out guns, and then came home and ordered the same gun online for a significant discount. Sorry for the bad news.

PS I agree with Ricochet, DA/SA is nothing to worry about. A DA/SA P226 would make an excellent range or carry gun. (assuming you don't mind the size or weight of the 226)

There's a guy in the classifieds selling a ported P226 with a Grey Guns trigger job for $550

That's a good deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast