Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (York County)

Default Re: List of States that ban Hollow Point Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What if the cartridge isn't sacred?
    I have all my bullets blessed.
    Last edited by phoenix01; June 8th, 2015 at 07:32 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    And that was a long time ago. And I think the law was pretty damn old at that time.

I believe the hollow point law in NJ went into effect with the adoption of the 2C criminal statutes in the early 80s. I left a NJ police dept in 1978 for a federal job. We were still using 2A (don't ask me what happened to 2B).

There were people locked up for possession of hollowpoints. To my knowledge these were cases where the drug dealer had ditched his gun and his dope but the police found he still had hollowpoints. Although the statute has not been changed police in NJ were told (1990s?) not to arrest someone just for hollowpoints. It is used as a add on charge. Illegally carrying a gun? Oops you got it loaded with hollowpoints thats two charges!

I repeatedly hear people say "you can be arrested for one hollowpoint" and yes you can just as you can be arrested for stealing ice from a lake. If I ask someone to give me the specifics of someone being arrested in NJ for possession of hollowpoint ammo in the past 10 years and that alone the best response I have gotten "well I can't remember but there was some guy...", or some other story without substantiation.

The EFMJ rounds like Federal and Cor Bon are not considered hollowpoints by NJ. I believe the Hornaday load is included in this.

They are restrictive, but they are open to interpretation by law enforcement in such a big way.

This is the problem with NJ gun laws. Most laws tell you what you cannot do. NJ gun laws prohibit everything except what they say you can do. For example with tarnsporting a handgun to and from a range. You have to go by the most direct route. If theres a range in Philly say there are at least 4 different ways I can go and would consider "direct". Interpretation of direct is very subjective.
    I realize this is a few years old, but the thread was bumped. Someone was prosecuted just for a hollowpoint discovered during a traffic stop in Gloucester, NJ a year ago. Some guy didn't say it, it was in the newspaper. There were stories here years ago of people being busted for it in NJ, including one about a PA EMT that was charged for having a hunting round in his truck when responding across the Delaware river. People are certainly prosecuted for possession of hollowpoints alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
    It is a felony to possess one hallow point cartridge, gun or no gun, in NJ.
    There are crimes in Jersey, not felonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Well, that would be like saying it is not entirely a crime to possess a handgun in NJ. It IS. They are illegal by default with exceptions. Exceptions for hollowpoint possession are similar to exceptions for handgun possession in Jersey except that there are LESS places that possession of hollowpoints may be legal.

Possession of a handgun is a 2nd degree crime (5 to 10 years) and possession of a hollowpoint is a 4th degree crime (16 months). So the punishment is less for hollowpoints but the possession laws are slightly more restrictive.

Don't believe anythiong you read on the NJSP website, it will not keep you out of jail. There are mistakes and insufficient explanations on that website that somehow are always at the expense of the Citizen. Usually in PA we have police and sheriffs telling us we can't do things that we can, the NJSP webpage is the opposite and does not provide sufficient warnings.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    New Jersey doesn't ban the possession, sale, or use of hollow point ammo per se. It only prohibits its use in a carried pistol. And seeing as almost NO ONE can get a NJ carry permit, it's a moot point.
    It wasn't a moot point for Shaneen Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    New Jersey doesn't ban the possession, sale, or use of hollow point ammo per se. It only prohibits its use in a carried pistol. And seeing as almost NO ONE can get a NJ carry permit, it's a moot point.
    That's how it's done in blue states.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    That's how it's done in blue states.
    That's not how it's done anywhere, including Jersey. He was mistaken. It's illegal to possess HPs in Jersey with a few exceptions. I don't know of any other state with restrictions on them. Explained in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    That's not how it's done anywhere, including Jersey. He was mistaken. It's illegal to possess HPs in Jersey with a few exceptions. I don't know of any other state with restrictions on them. Explained in the thread.

I meant the indirect, round-about gun control through restrictions, fees, registrations, etc. They do not ban guns or ammo, they just make them extremely difficult or expensive to get, or legally carry them.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234