Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: List of States that ban Hollow Point Ammo

If you live in NJ and shoot an intruder at your home, then the intruder would be in illegal possession of hollow point ammo.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Actually, we're both right. NJ doesn't outright ban possession, sale, or use (like I said), but they do heavily regulate it's possession and use outside the home. From the NJ state police web site:

http://www.nj.gov/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html
    Damn, your glass is half full today I don't think that makes us both right, it makes me right and you mostly wrong

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
    ...The only ammo I think might get past this is Federal's EFMJ, which came out not long after NJ's hollow point law was passed (though it might still be "dum-dum"). Of course, the statute itself is "dum-dum," but I digress ...
    I don't know which hollow point law you are referring to, but they were illegal with the same (or similar) exceptions when I was a kid during the early 80s. And that was a long time ago. And I think the law was pretty damn old at that time. I read it in the NJ Firearms Law book at that time.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: List of States that ban Hollow Point Ammo

Why cannot the law simply states "unlawful to carry XXX type of ammunition by those who are prohibited from legally carrying a firearm?"

Law-abiding citizens aren't the ones who the police need to fear anyway, so....

And that was a long time ago. And I think the law was pretty damn old at that time.

I believe the hollow point law in NJ went into effect with the adoption of the 2C criminal statutes in the early 80s. I left a NJ police dept in 1978 for a federal job. We were still using 2A (don't ask me what happened to 2B).

There were people locked up for possession of hollowpoints. To my knowledge these were cases where the drug dealer had ditched his gun and his dope but the police found he still had hollowpoints. Although the statute has not been changed police in NJ were told (1990s?) not to arrest someone just for hollowpoints. It is used as a add on charge. Illegally carrying a gun? Oops you got it loaded with hollowpoints thats two charges!

I repeatedly hear people say "you can be arrested for one hollowpoint" and yes you can just as you can be arrested for stealing ice from a lake. If I ask someone to give me the specifics of someone being arrested in NJ for possession of hollowpoint ammo in the past 10 years and that alone the best response I have gotten "well I can't remember but there was some guy...", or some other story without substantiation.

The EFMJ rounds like Federal and Cor Bon are not considered hollowpoints by NJ. I believe the Hornaday load is included in this.

They are restrictive, but they are open to interpretation by law enforcement in such a big way.

This is the problem with NJ gun laws. Most laws tell you what you cannot do. NJ gun laws prohibit everything except what they say you can do. For example with tarnsporting a handgun to and from a range. You have to go by the most direct route. If theres a range in Philly say there are at least 4 different ways I can go and would consider "direct". Interpretation of direct is very subjective.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    New Jersey doesn't ban the possession, sale, or use of hollow point ammo per se. It only prohibits its use in a carried pistol. And seeing as almost NO ONE can get a NJ carry permit, it's a moot point.
    It is a felony to possess one hallow point cartridge, gun or no gun, in NJ.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
    What if the cartridge isn't sacred?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
    Not entirely.

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
    N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
    2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
    3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
    4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

Whew! So glad I can use hollow nose bullets for skeet shooting in NJ!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
    N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
    2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
    3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
    4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target,trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."
    Whew! So glad I can use hollow nose bullets for skeet shooting in NJ!
    Sooooo... I have to shoot them all at the range?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast