Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: List of States that ban Hollow Point Ammo

The ambiguity of Firearms laws in New Jersey...now there's a book title!

My bottom line with New Jersey is that vague and ambiguous laws usually mean if there is a problem, it is up to the interpretation of the police officer on the scene, which will trump you every time. I find this quite scary, in that law enforcement is no stranger to the concept of throwing as many charges against you and seeing which ones stick. I recently posted an article of a man who was arrested for unlawful posession of a firearm, posession of hollowpoint ammunition, driving a boat without proper registration, and having an open container of alcohol in public.

As I understand things, if you are driving directly to your home after a JHP purchase or driving directly to a range or hunting area in New Jersey, hollowpoint ammunition is legal. I am not sure of the hunting area has to be property you own. They appear to treat hollowpoint ammunition the same way they treat firearms regarding transportation issues. Everything else is basically off limits." Keep in mind that my concern with the "driving directly" phrase is that a police officer has to accept that and believe you. I know this makes me sound really paranoid, but these laws are up to interpretation of police at the scene. If you are driving/shopping/etc through New Jersey with hollowpoint ammunition in you car, you can be charged, and if convicted it's a felony with a seven month sentence. Will the charge stick in court? It's hard to say, but taking the chance can be a real expensive legal headache.

For me, it would be a felony to buy hollowpoint ammunition on my way to work, as I live in Pennsylvania and work in New Jersey. Apparently making a "Stop," like working an 8 hour shift would make my situation "unlawful."

New Jersey also has a limit for magazine capacity to 15 rounds. A high capacity maazine charge will also get you a seven month sentence and another felony.

(Centre County)

I've heard several people say that PA, DE, and NY should cut the bridges and let NJ sink into the sea. Given their gun laws and that show with all of the fake-tan kids, I'm beginning to agree.

(Delaware County)

They aren't bridges,,,,,,, their mooring lines.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Actually, we're both right. NJ doesn't outright ban possession, sale, or use (like I said), but they do heavily regulate it's possession and use outside the home. From the NJ state police web site:

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.
    Is this another of Jersey's traps? Specifically, has anyone legally possessing HPs in their home ever been charged anyway because thay couldn't prove they were a "sportsman"?

Three and a half years I lived there, and I'd never go back.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

That's why New Jersey's laws creep me out. They are restrictive, but they are open to interpretation by law enforcement in such a big way. Even the "exceptions" as they are often termed, are up to interpretation. It's another example of telling you what you can't do, instead of what you can do. They are not the only state with this law style, but it just seems to be one of the worst. I admit to personalizing things a bit on this issue, given that I work there.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    Is this another of Jersey's traps? Specifically, has anyone legally possessing HPs in their home ever been charged anyway because thay couldn't prove they were a "sportsman"?

Three and a half years I lived there, and I'd never go back.
    Home possession does not require a 'sportsman' purpose.

The prohibition:
    2C:39-3. Prohibited weapons and devices
    f. Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets.
    (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, ...
    and the home exception:

g. Exceptions.
    (2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land,...
    IANAL

(Lancaster County)

Are Hornady Critical defense rounds (the kind with the rubber tip to help expansion) considered hollow points? Just asking - I have no plans/reason to visit New Jersey EVER.

Cb

I would say no to the Hornady, but this is New Jersey we are talking about. Federal makes and expanding FMJ ammunition, where the metal jacket kind of folds back as it expands, apparently on parts of the bullet where the metal is cut in some manner. It's not a jagged as your average JHP, still makes a wide hole. It looks like a 9mm box of 50 goes for about $22.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Are Hornady Critical defense rounds (the kind with the rubber tip to help expansion) considered hollow points? Just asking - I have no plans/reason to visit New Jersey EVER.

Cb
    They would be considered to be "dum-dum" bullets because they are designed to expand - so, they would be banned from being carried.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    They would be considered to be "dum-dum" bullets because they are designed to expand - so, they would be banned from being carried.
    Not necessarily (though I agree with the conclusion - I wouldn't want to be the test case). If NJ has a statutory definition of "dum-dum" or "hollow nose" I haven't come across it, which means that it's up to the court to determine what those terms mean (if it hasn't already been decided by case law).

I read an article in a gun rag a year or two ago written by a former NJ State Trooper. I can't recall which magazine or what the substance of the article was, but what stuck in my head was that he mentioned carrying Cor-Bon Pow'r Ball in his 9mm, since it wasn't "hollow nose" (he had an NJ carry permit; my understanding is that the few that are issued are only issued to former LEOs). I know I've seen similar references to such ammo not being "hollow nose" under NJ law elsewhere. Personally, I think an NJ court is apt to look right past any plastic or rubber plug in the nose of a bullet and find it to be a "hollow nose," meaning you're SOL.

The only ammo I think might get past this is Federal's EFMJ, which came out not long after NJ's hollow point law was passed (though it might still be "dum-dum"). Of course, the statute itself is "dum-dum," but I digress ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast