Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Arrow QUESTION: Public Shooting Range pitt area

I am a new member to the forums, but have been reading for a few months now. One thing I frequently come across is what people look for in a public indoor shooting range in this area.

Things like a state of the art facility, moveable target retrievers, a well working hvac system, rentals, knowledgeable and friendly staff, own ammo use, classes, store are always desired, but not at certain prices. So I am going to play devils advocate here and pose a question in the defense of how expensive the darn things are.

If there was a new facility built in the pittsburgh area, that was state of the art, had brand new lanes, ventilation, allowed use of own ammo, had a solid selection of rentals etc... What would you be willing to pay?

Would $15/hr be too much? Would a$30\month membership fee be too steep?

Thought this might be a fun way to introduce myself to the forums!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: QUESTION: Public Shooting Range pitt area

Having belonged to several indoor ranges in various states during the last 25 years (from Average to Very Good Ranges), here is my input.

Hourly Range Fee - $10
    2nd Shooter in same lane - extra $5
    Yearly membership fee - $200 - $250
    Gun Rentals - $5.00 per gun (no problem with stipulation that you have to use Range ammo in Range rental gun)
    Eye & Ear protection - included in lane rental fee
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

I think that is fair... what states have you been to?

The best range I was ever at was Scottsdale Gun Club in AZ. They had $15/HR and rentals were $10 but free for members (my buddy pays $30/month for a membership but they get a ton of perks). It was the cleanest/safest range I ever stepped foot in. Plus you could rent full auto!

I'd say $30 a month or $250 annual membership (perks with annual membership). Large selection of rental guns (use store ammo to protect STORE's guns) but allow use of own ammunition. However, try to have a nice stock of ammunition in case shooters need to buy more.

Separate/isolated bay for AR/AK shooters would be nice.

Being a friendly and knowledgeable store/range is the best quality. Going above and beyond to educate and help your customers.

As for location, being close to Pittsburgh would be great. Note though that if closer to Pittsburgh you make the place more accessible to EVERYONE so more unsavory or irresponsible types. I love going to A&S in Youngwood, unfortunately it is just too far to go to on a regular basis. They have a great range and shop. i just can't say enough good things about them.

(Allegheny County)

I'll have to check A&S out sometime, but its a hike for me I live downtown, but I've heard great things about them on this forum. We need a nice public indoor range... maybe robinson/ross twnshp area... that would be awesome, with a 100 yd rifle range!

(Allegheny County)

SteelCty,
    We either shot at, were members of, and/or ran leagues & provided training at:

From 85-88, Ray's Indoor Range in Louisville KY (where my wife and I got our start in the shooting sports), we also shot a few times at another range in Louisville, but I can't recall what it was called anymore.

From 89 - 2002, Continental Sportsman (North of Seattle WA), The Marksman Indoor Range (Puyallup WA), The Bullseye (Tacoma WA - still shoot there when I go home for Xmas), and on a few occasions WSI and Wade's Indoor Ranges (both in Bellevue WA). Oh yeah, the PD that I worked for had our own indoor range, as a member of the Range Staff I had the ability to shoot there 24/7/365 - with an almost unlimited ammo supply

Last 8 years or so - Anthony Arms (West Mifflin), The Bullseye (Robinson Town Center) and A&S in Youngwood

We also try to check out any indoor ranges when we go on vacation, since both of us shoot, it's not a problem to make time to go check them out.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Fayette County)

I honestly prefer to shoot outdoor for both pistol and rifle.
    Why?
    Because you get to train in real world conditions in any weather day or night

Hell, I would be happy with a 50 yard outdoor pistol range and a 300 yard rifle range.
    Members bring their own target stands.

Build 15 benches for the shooters to sit at and rent a bulldozer to make a backstop.

Thats all we really need in the area.

Im not for all that high tech indoor range crap.

Id even be willing to donate a day a week for clean up and range maintenance for a discount on membership.

You would probably only need 10 acres or so.

Put up a metal heavy duty gate and each year when the members pay dues they get a key to that lock.

Rotate the locks yearly and you have a good set up that keeps non member out.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

Orive 8, I'm jealous, but you deserved it. I wish I could shoot whenever I want for free! you should check out Scottsdale Gun Club if you are ever in AZ. I took clients there for a day of shooting and it was awesome! We shot M4s and AKs full auto, and a colleague is a member there, so we got to go in their VIP room, (which you need to use an eye scanner to get in) and smoke cigars play cards etc... Awesome experience!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCty View Post
    I am a new member to the forums, but have been reading for a few months now. One thing I frequently come across is what people look for in a public indoor shooting range in this area.

Things like a state of the art facility, moveable target retrievers, a well working hvac system, rentals, knowledgeable and friendly staff, own ammo use, classes, store are always desired, but not at certain prices. So I am going to play devils advocate here and pose a question in the defense of how expensive the darn things are.

If there was a new facility built in the pittsburgh area, that was state of the art, had brand new lanes, ventilation, allowed use of own ammo, had a solid selection of rentals etc... What would you be willing to pay?

Would $15/hr be too much? Would a$30\month membership fee be too steep?

Thought this might be a fun way to introduce myself to the forums!!
    Bullseye, which was on Campbells Run Road was such a range. Open to the public and memberships. I was a member, I'm not sure why they closed. They had the live shoot video system as well as electronic programmable target holders. I loved the place and was there a couple of times a week at least. If something like that was to return in Robinson area I would be very interested.

People out near Monroeville have PMSC, which is an awesome facility, but it's just to hard for people on the West side of the city to get to, especially during the week.
    "The best investment on earth is earth."

(Allegheny County)

I know someone who was a member that said they closed bc they didn't know how expensive running the ventilation system was until after they opened. Then they had to close down bc it was too expensive.

Whats the range at PMSC like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast