Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default open carry or concealed non resident

Hey guys

Im from New Jersey but go to PA every weekend and in the summer stay there for weeks on end. I want to move to PA within a year or so. Just love it there. I was wondering what the laws are for non residents until i find a permanent place. I currently have a permit in new jersey but there super strict here and you cant get a carrying permit. No way no how. Even if you were kidnapped and robbed they still say no. Bu..S... if you ask me. Just wondering what my rights are and how to go about staying within the law. I dont need to go to jail as i have a clean record. Thanks is advance for any help.

Default Re: open carry or concealed non resident

You are fine with open carry without a LTCF as long as you're not in your car or Philly (you need a LTCF for those two, even for OC), or other "regulated" areas like courthouses, federal buildings, state parks (CC is OK with a LTCF), secure areas of airports, detention centers, or schools (supposedly OK with a resident LTCF but I'm not certain about that).

As for CC, you should be able to apply for a non-resident LTCF now, and then they can just update your address after you find a place to live in PA.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Goretex101 View Post
    . I was wondering what the laws are for non residents until i find a permanent place. I currently have a permit in new jersey but there super strict here and you cant get a carrying permit.
    You can't get a PA non-res without having a license/permit from another state. Also, bringing a gun to and from PA from NJ is something you probably you don't want to risk.
    Last edited by SAB215; May 8th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    You can't get a PA non-res permit without having a license/permit from another state. Also, bringing a gun to and from PA from NJ is something you probably you don't want to risk.
    Right. There is no legal way for him to transport a gun to PA. 1) Having the gun in a car in PA is illegal without a license from any state and 2) It appears to me that transporting a gun to PA for the sole purpose of carrying it for self defense is against NJ state law.

Boned twice over.

Some people believe transporting to PA from NJ is legal (I don't believe it is, but admittedly the law is very ambiguous). If you are in that crowd and you think the risk is worth it, consider getting an AZ or FL permit. Then you're legal to carry and transport in PA.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Butler County)

Your best bet would be to get a Utah, Florida or Arizona non resident which Pa honors.

I was raised in NJ so I feel your pain.

I'm teaching a Utah permit class in Northern Virginia in June, if you are interested. Its not too far of a drive (I know, I've done it!)

See www.ProactiveShooters.com for details.

zackattack . So what does getting a permit from one of those states actually do. Im still coming from new jersey ? Will they even give me one if im not gonna be in that state at all. Its a damn shame !! I gotta get out of this state. You have no liberties at all here. Why have the right to bear arms if they have to stay in you closet.

I appreciate the responses guys..especially you guys being so cool. Im just clueless about this stuff and after what happened to brian atiken before i do anything i want to know the deal.

I actually go shooting in pa almost everytime im out there cause jersey is so up tight its the only place i can enjoy going. Its like why should i be renting guns when i could use my own.

(Northampton County)

zackattack . So what does getting a permit from one of those states actually do. Im still coming from new jersey ? Will they even give me one if im not gonna be in that state at all. Its a damn shame !! I gotta get out of this state. You have no liberties at all here. Why have the right to bear arms if they have to stay in you closet.

I appreciate the responses guys..especially you guys being so cool. Im just clueless about this stuff and after what happened to brian atiken before i do anything i want to know the deal.
    There are several states you can get permits from. PA is not one of them because you are required to have a permit from your home state.

- If you have no carry permit from any state you can open carry in PA but you cannot transport a handgun in a car unless you are going to a range, etc. Not even unloaded in the trunk.
    - If you have a carry permit from ANY state you can open carry in PA AND transport in your car.
    - If you have a carry permit from a state that PA recognizes you can open carry, conceal carry, and transport in a car.

None of this helps you with NJ. In NJ you can only transport a handgun in a car to specific destinations, and carrying for self defense in PA is not a legitimate reason to have a handgun in your trunk in NJ. Some people think the Federal law (Firearm Owners Protection Act) would protect you while in NJ on your way to PA. Most people do not believe that FOPA will protect you in your state of origin.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Your best bet would be to get a Utah, Florida or Arizona non resident which Pa honors.

For one it would make carrying here in Pa easier, without one you would only be able to carry open, on foot, but not in Philadelphia. The second thing, and the reason I have a Utah permit in addition to my Pa license is for reciprocity with other states, I go to Delaware a lot, Pa is not recognized there but Utah is.

It wouldn't do anything for you in NJ though.

As far as Brian Aitken goes, he did follow the law and still got jacked up in NJ.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast