Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice - Why no semi-auto pistols in PA forests

I was looking at the compact Glocks today at Gander - I have been thinking about a Glock 29 10mm. Big 10 fan - conference and cartridge! While I was standing there at the counter speaking with the salesman (who indicated they did not stock the 10mm Glocks), I mentioned that one of the reasons I liked the 10mm cartridge is it's flexibility. I thought the 10mm Glock compact would be interesting as a potential CCW for horseback trail rides in the state forests here in PA. He then said I would be in violation; that you cannot carry a semi-auto pistol in the PA forests - I asked why. He indicated semi-autos were a danger to wildlife. I thought this funny - but my 357 mag or 41 mag wheel guns are okay; e.g. wildlife approved/wildlife safe? This evening I searched the web - and I don't see anything indicating that I cannot carry a semi-auto pistol in the state forests for defense. I believe that hunting may be illegal with a semi-auto in PA. I don't intend to hunt.

Can someone enlighten me on this no semi-auto rule in the state forests; even if solely for self-defense. Is it different in the game lands or the state parks just to make sure I have my basis covered. I thought I had a general understanding of the rules in PA but may be I missed something.

Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Advice - Why no semi-auto pistols in PA forests

He is mistaken. You can carry a semi-auto for protective reasons in State Forests, State Parks(concealed only), National Forests, and National Parks.

You cannot however, take game with a semi-auto unless you have lost use of one hand and the gun's magazine is capped to 4rds.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clinton County)

They are fine to carry there. You just can't hunt with them or semi auto rifles in Pa.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by twhman View Post
    I was looking at the compact Glocks today at Gander - I have been thinking about a Glock 29 10mm. Big 10 fan - conference and cartridge! While I was standing there at the counter speaking with the salesman (who indicated they did not stock the 10mm Glocks), I mentioned that one of the reasons I liked the 10mm cartridge is it's flexibility. I thought the 10mm Glock compact would be interesting as a potential CCW for horseback trail rides in the state forests here in PA. He then said I would be in violation; that you cannot carry a semi-auto pistol in the PA forests - I asked why. He indicated semi-autos were a danger to wildlife. I thought this funny - but my 357 mag or 41 mag wheel guns are okay; e.g. wildlife approved/wildlife safe? This evening I searched the web - and I don't see anything indicating that I cannot carry a semi-auto pistol in the state forests for defense. I believe that hunting may be illegal with a semi-auto in PA. I don't intend to hunt.

Can someone enlighten me on this no semi-auto rule in the state forests; even if solely for self-defense. Is it different in the game lands or the state parks just to make sure I have my basis covered. I thought I had a general understanding of the rules in PA but may be I missed something.

Thanks

lmao.
    Another goof working at a gun store giving out wrong advice.

Did he say that Glocks are made by Tupperware too?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

I did not think it was an issue - but this salesman seemed so confident that carry a semi-auto for defense was a no go in the PA state forests. So I figured I better find out if I knew what I thought I knew or if he was right. Thanks for the reply - Looks like a Glock 29 in 10mm for me. That will be my first Glock.

Of course the sales guy also suggested that FNP was making a 10mm. I said - really since I had not heard this I though 9, 40 and 45 was about it for FNP. However, I would be interested if they did since they are nice guns. He looked and said - he was mistaken.

Sorry - that FNH was making an FNP in 10mm. Getting late.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by twhman View Post
    I did not think it was an issue - but this salesman seemed so confident that carry a semi-auto for defense was a no go in the PA state forests. So I figured I better find out if I knew what I thought I knew or if he was right. Thanks for the reply - Looks like a Glock 29 in 10mm for me. That will be my first Glock.

Damn good choice too!
    I have shot the G29 in 10mm and thought it was great.

What I always do when I hear some "gun shop commando" run off at the mouth about what he thinks the law is - ask him exactly where he read the law and what the annotated code for it is.

But in most cases its useless to argue with people like that. Even if you prove them wrong, they arent men enough to admit it.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    He is mistaken. You can carry a semi-auto for protective reasons in State Forests, State Parks(concealed only), National Forests, and National Parks.

You cannot however, take game with a semi-auto unless you have lost use of one hand and the gun's magazine is capped to 4rds.
    I was privy to this answer prior to your posting, however I've never seen why or the argument made for the State Parks, why are they different then State Forests?

(Erie County)

Just thought I'd throw this out... The Tanfoglio Witness is a popular choice for 10mm (imported by EAA). You can get conversion kits for the Witness to run any of the following: 9, 38 super, 40, 45, and even 22. It's a good value, check it out.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    I was privy to this answer prior to your posting, however I've never seen why or the argument made for the State Parks, why are they different then State Forests?
    State Parks had a regulation before that outlawed carrying of guns, except in designated hunting areas. The General Assembly then made a law allowing for the carrying of "firearms" throughout State Parks so long as it is done under 6109. 6109 is for licensing, which is required for concealment and vehicle carry.

The State Park regulation still effects carrying as a whole, but state law allows for carrying as provided under 6109 - licensed and concealed.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast