Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 642

(Pike County)

Default S&W 642

I'm planning to buy a S&W 642 or 442. Any thoughts on these guns?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: S&W 642

I own and have shot both my 642's at least 400 rounds each. Both guns perform without incident. Highly recommend for SD light weight and with +p ammo pack a nice punch.

(Tioga County)

I've owned a 442 for several years. Lightweight, easy to carry if you choose. Dead reliable (Hey, it's a Smith.) These are challenging guns to shoot well because of the light weight and short barrel.

--Phil

Have you shot one and if so, have you shot one extensively?

Had one. Hated it. With +Ps it's unbearable to shoot for more than a 20 rounds. I prefer to be able to practice with my carry guns, and I simply could not get comfortable shooting the 642. After a short range session my hand was usually sore and sometimes bruised.

It's fine enough if you plan to shoot maybe a few rounds and then stick it in your pocket and forget it. If you plan to practice, you may want to look elsewhere.

642s are very popular mostly because of the light weight. "Challenging to shoot well" means difficult. Not the gun to learn how to shoot a DA revolver with. I am not "recoil sensitive" but in order to make the gun shootable for any extended period you need to put larger grips on it and use std pressure ammo. I have had people who shot steel J frames well describe the recoil as "painful" with stock wooden grips. I prefer steel J frames.

642s are going for $320 at Buds Gunshop, a steel J frame is $500 or so. There is a reason why people would pay almost $200 for the same gun only a bit heavier.

(Pike County)

Have 442, love same. It's one of my favorite CC guns.
    Just to note, it stays loaded with non +p WW Silvertip 110gr. loads most of the time. I don't have a great problem with hotter loads, but if Ma has to shoot it the recoil with +p's is a bit much for her.

(Berks County)

I absolutely love mine!!! I put the smaller crimson trace grips on it. Pretty much the same size grips as it comes with. I pocket carry mine all the time. I dont think the recoil is bad at all. I've shot 100's of +p ammo through it at mutiple times. I remember when I was looking to buy one, everyone online spoke about how bad the recoil is. Then when I got it and shot it, I thought man I should of got the scandium .357 with the big dot. Oh well. If I could make a few suggestions for what its worth. Spend the money on a Mica pocket holster. THEY ARE FANTASTIC!!!! Also I painted the front sight with bright fingernail polish and clear coat polish, I painted the rear sight with black polish and clear coat. This really makes the sight jump out. If not its tough to see the sights because everthings the same color.

(Berks County)

Oh. heres a pic of the 642 posing with my dan wesson porkchop in snubby configuration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.JPG (90.3 KB, 19 views)

(Allegheny County)

I use my 642 to back up my shotgun for HD but wouldn't carry it every day. For me personally it's just not right for daily carry. Small grip size, long trigger pull and 5-round capacity are the cons. Light weight and reliability are the pros.

(Cumberland County)

I'm a big J frame fan, I've had a 637, a 442, and later this week I think I'm gonna buy a nice older Model 36.

As was said above, these guns are not easy to pickup and shoot. They take lots and lots of practice to shoot well and consistently. This means shooting them a lot. A whole lot. And for some people the recoil can be a bit much. With the standard grips on the 642 you will have the aluminum back strap smacking you directly in the palm. You can replace the stock grips, but I really like them for concealability.

I love them, but recoil doesn't bother me much, and I'm willing to diligently train with the gun if I'm gonna carry it.

It's a good time to buy J frames, Budsgunshop.com has no lock 642s for $361 or something like that.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id=70713
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast