Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Smile My first wheel gun

Last year I bought a Browning Buckmark Camper "Whisper" (Lipsey's special with a threaded bull barrel and a few other amenities) and found that this cheap .22LR ammo I bought about 10 years ago (Federal "Gold Medal") didn't have the oomph to cycle the action on it reliably. CCI MiniMags work fine on it though. So I have a few bricks of this Gold Medal stuff, and a bunch of .22 shorts I inherited that I can't use in any of the semi's. So what to do?

Easy answer: Buy a gun that can handle any kind of .22. A revolver.

I looked at a few Ruger Single Sixes, but couldn't find any in decent shape or that has that classic "4 click" hammer that I liked. I was also considering a S&W 617.

Then I find this:

http://www.dosbomber.com/img/100_2768_cr.jpg

(image is too big for a thumbnail)

It's a Heritage "Rough Rider" with fiber optic sights (neat) and two cylinders. One can handle .22LR, shorts, longs, etc., and the other cylinder can handle .22 WMR.

It comes with a trigger lock (my preferred safety system for when they go into long term storage) and claims to be 100% made in the USA, which gives me a minor patriotic thrill. I have plenty of quality imports, but it's nice to feel like I'm supporting our economy instead of someone else's.

Although fairly cheap, it has a nice trigger, it shoots well, and I'm finding out that I'm a fan of the SAA style revolvers.

Just one question though, if any of you have this particular model or something similar: I find that when unloading the spent rounds and loading fresh ones into the cylinder, the cylinder needs to be manually turned forward (clockwise) just a little bit from its "resting" position before the chamber has a clear pass through the loading gate opening. Same with the ejector rod. Basically I have to pull the hammer to half-cock, open the gate, then turn the cylinder until it clicks, then just a little more, until the chamber is lined up so I can eject the old round. This just doesn't feel right. I'm wondering if something got messed up when they went to a 9-round cylinder, and if it had the 6-round cylinders of the older models this wouldn't be a problem. Any opinions from any revolver experts?

Dos

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My first wheel gun

Quote Originally Posted by Dosbomber View Post

Just one question though, if any of you have this particular model or something similar: I find that when unloading the spent rounds and loading fresh ones into the cylinder, the cylinder needs to be manually turned forward (clockwise) just a little bit from its "resting" position before the chamber has a clear pass through the loading gate opening. Same with the ejector rod. Basically I have to pull the hammer to half-cock, open the gate, then turn the cylinder until it clicks, then just a little more, until the chamber is lined up so I can eject the old round. This just doesn't feel right. I'm wondering if something got messed up when they went to a 9-round cylinder, and if it had the 6-round cylinders of the older models this wouldn't be a problem. Any opinions from any revolver experts?

Dos
    I don't own a Heritage, but I do own a Single Six that does the same thing. Pretty sure it's normal.

(Lancaster County)

That makes me feel a lot better, Thanks.

For some reason I thought the cylinder should just line up with no effort with the gate so the brass can be ejected or inserted with no tension on the cylinder.

Dos
    Last edited by Dosbomber; April 19th, 2011 at 12:48 AM.

(Fayette County)

Very nice!
    I always wanted to get a .22 revolver.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli