Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P229

(Venango County)

Default Sig Sauer P229

I have been thinking about getting a sig p229 in .40 s&w to carry with a .22 conversion kit for cheaper shooting. Anyone have one with the .22 conversion kit and does it work good? Would you recommend it? Any input would be great especially since I'm looking at 900 on the gun then about 300 on the conversion kit.

If anyone has a better idea for a .22 conversion kit and gun that can be in .40 or .45 acp since I already own a glock 19, but am looking for an new gun that I can shoot cheap.

Thanks

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Sig Sauer P229

Not .22 per say but I do have a 9mm conversion barrel for my P229 that puts you at almost half the cost of .40 to shoot. Works great and I ordered it threaded for future fun.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Not .22 per say but I do have a 9mm conversion barrel for my P229 that puts you at almost half the cost of .40 to shoot. Works great and I ordered it threaded for future fun.
    I am debating between the .40 and 9 mm but leaning towards a 40 right now. I really want the .22 conversion cause its like 1 cent around. Do you like your p229?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaL450 View Post
    I am debating between the .40 and 9 mm but leaning towards a 40 right now. I really want the .22 conversion cause its like 1 cent around. Do you like your p229?
    I get the cheap shooting thing but the conversion is $300 right off the bat of the $900 gun that's not cheap. If you want cheap shooting why are you getting a Sig? My point is you are willing to spend $900 on a gun and $300 to convert it but $.01 per round???If you get into reloading it pays in more than one caliber and non of which are .22. I reload for .40 and they cost about $.07 each.
    Spend the $300 on a Lee 1000 progressive($159) and the rest on supplies for .40(King shooters supply).
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/599?
    http://www.kingshooters.com/index.php

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaL450 View Post
    Love it. I have seen people have problems with the .22 conversion on them though.

(Fayette County)

I own a 229-R in .40 DA/SA and its the best handgun I have ever owned.
    I have owned/carried it now for about three years and put it through hell when Im out backpacking/camping in the mountains.

It hasn't had a FTF or any problem yet. Even when feeding it cheap dirty Wolf ammo, it still functions like a champ.

As far as 9mm vs. .40 ammo prices. In my opinion I really dont know what all the fuss is about. In most cases a box of .40 ammo is only a few dollars more.

Dont get me wrong, I own pistols in 9mm and like the 9mm round.

But the .40 is a better round for defense.

Just look at the ballistic resting reports. So to me, paying a couple dollars more for ammo is well worth it when my life is on the line.

Another thing is, you can also shoot .357 Sig ammo out of your 229. All you do is buy the .357 sg barrel.

You just use the same magazine and the same slide.

The .357 Sig bullet is another fantastic bullet for defense.

I cant comment on the .22 conversion kit, because I never had one.

But do yourself a favor and get a 229. You will NOT be sorry!
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I own a 229-R in .40 DA/SA and its the best handgun I have ever owned.
    I have owned/carried it now for about three years and put it through hell when Im out backpacking/camping in the mountains.

It hasn't had a FTF or any problem yet. Even when feeding it cheap dirty Wolf ammo, it still functions like a champ.

As far as 9mm vs. .40 ammo prices. In my opinion I really dont know what all the fuss is about. In most cases a box of .40 ammo is only a few dollars more.

Dont get me wrong, I own pistols in 9mm and like the 9mm round.

But the .40 is a better round for defense.

Just look at the ballistic resting reports. So to me, paying a couple dollars more for ammo is well worth it when my life is on the line.

Another thing is, you can also shoot .357 Sig ammo out of your 229. All you do is buy the .357 sg barrel.

You just use the same magazine and the same slide.

The .357 Sig bullet is another fantastic bullet for defense.

I cant comment on the .22 conversion kit, because I never had one.

But do yourself a favor and get a 229. You will NOT be sorry!
    I have 3 barrels for my 229. .40, .357 and 9mm.The 9mm barrel coupled with the 9mm magazine increases capacity to 17 rounds.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I have 3 barrels for my 229. .40, .357 and 9mm.The 9mm barrel coupled with the 9mm magazine increases capacity to 17 rounds.
    Is that right?

Have you every had any problems shooting the 9mm out of it?

Do you have a link to where you bought it?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Is that right?

Have you every had any problems shooting the 9mm out of it?

Do you have a link to where you bought it?
    Never one single problem with the conversion barrel. I bought the 17 round mag at American Sport Shooting. (Local shop)

The barrel is from EFK Firedragon:
    http://www.efkfiredragon.com/proddet...prod=SS2299SBC

(threaded is more) It says you can use the same mags as the .40 but I wouldn't recommend it. I had problems with the rounds turning and binding inside the mag.

The Sig P229 is one of the softest shooting .40 out on the market today. My Glock 22 and 23 shoot 40 harsh, but the P229 is a pleasure to shoot .40 with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast