Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: model 99 308

(Schuylkill County)

Default model 99 308

Looking for help tried 2 scopes cant get a pattern is my rifling out and can I get it re-rifled, shot perfect last summer got 48 ground hogs with 2 misses then checked for deer season and cant zero in. Any help is greatly appr.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: model 99 308

Quote Originally Posted by nighthunter View Post
    Looking for help tried 2 scopes cant get a pattern is my rifling out and can I get it re-rifled, shot perfect last summer got 48 ground hogs with 2 misses then checked for deer season and cant zero in. Any help is greatly appr.
    define "won't pattern"? Are we talking about a 3' group at 100 yards or you can't hold a 1" group at 100 yards?

hows it shooting at 50 yards?

Do you still have iron sights? if so I'd take off your scope/rings and see how you group without optics on it. I'd be really surprised if you put it away shooting awesome and pulled it back out and somehow the rifling is trashed
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lebanon County)

What kind of ammo are you using? Did you change anything? Is it possible that it just needs cleaned really good? How's the barrel crown look? Is it damaged at all? What kind of sights?

If you don't have any luck troubleshooting it you could always try taking it to Shakey's Gun Shop in Orwigsburg since your close. He does smithwork and has looked at my fathers 99 in .243 that had some feeding issues with good results.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Schuylkill County)

shootig is all over a paper plate and even missing the plate at 100 yards.Never tried it at 50 yds and iron sight have not been working since i was about 15 yrs old. I took the scope off and rings ,lock-tite every thing gotta go back out and try it this weekend. Same ammo all the time, hopefully it is working now. thanks

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by nighthunter View Post
    shootig is all over a paper plate and even missing the plate at 100 yards.Never tried it at 50 yds and iron sight have not been working since i was about 15 yrs old. I took the scope off and rings ,lock-tite every thing gotta go back out and try it this weekend. Same ammo all the time, hopefully it is working now. thanks
    how do iron sights "not work" if they are there they will at least give you a consistant point of aim, even if that point is way off.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Schuylkill County)

Well gotta send it to a gun smith barrel is loose going to get it re-lugged

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    how do iron sights "not work" if they are there they will at least give you a consistant point of aim, even if that point is way off.
    Dredly either one of the sights is broker or his eyes are about as good as mine been wearing glasses from the age of 14. Kind of hard seeing things now. Thank god for NIKON

(Schuylkill County)

Well not having much luck with my 308. Spent $100. at the gun smith he took gun apart went over everthing put new leopold scopemounts on, he shot and said holes where touching at one hundred yards. I shoot 2 1/2 boxes and its still all over the target. The gun shop said bring it back they stand behind there work ,not sure if i want them to touch it again, meanwhile i got a 22-250 for hog hunting nice gun