Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FNX-40 Review

(Berks County)

Default FNX-40 Review

Well, after much consideration I chose the new FNX-40 over the Ruger SR 40 and the H&K USP40. I got it out to the range today for 100 rounds.

Initial impressions? Upon field stripping the weapon before the range, I was impressed. Takedown is uber simple....remove mag, slide to the rear, flip TD lever down, release the slide...that's it. There are no machining marks anywhere on the slide or rails. Interchangeable back straps are nice to have. There have been reports of "loose" backstraps, but mine lock up tight. It also has a beveled mag well in the polymer frame...VERY nice. It made for some quick mag changes at the range. Ambi mag release is fantastic in function...over sized and easy to manipulate....one of the very best I have ever used. Gun also comes with 3 mags, which is really nice these days when most manufacterers are cutting back on stuff. The mags are easy to load all 14 rounds with the Uplula loader.

Shooting impression? The sights on this pistol are some of the very best I've ever used. Although a standard 3-dot set up, the front sight is over sized and extremely easy to put on target. I have owned one other pistol in 40 s&w...it was a Steyr M40 A-1. The extremely low bore axis in the Steyr made recoil feel more like a .45 (more of a "push" than muzzle flip). The FNX gave a more pronounced flip than a "push". Quick double taps were a little slower than with the Steyr. I shot the FNX better than any other pistol I own accuracy wise. The DA trigger was VERY smooth and probably around 10lbs or so. SA was extremely crisp, probably around 4lbs from what I have read. Trigger reset was awesome...very quick and pronounced.

I had two FTF out of the 100 rounds. This was I believe due to a bad batch of Wolfe primers (overly hard). I shot the same reloads with the Steyr and had the exact same problem.....but here's the best part....with the Steyr I had to drop the mag and rack the slide to eject the round and reload it into the magazine. They went off the second time around. With the FNX, I just had to pull the trigger a second time and they all went bang! This was yet another reason that I wanted to stay away from a striker fired weapon (Ruger SR40).

The decocker/safety worked very well. I can carry cocked and locked or hammer down and safety off. Again, choices are nice! The decocker works exactly the same as the USP. Although the USP is a beautiful and well made gun, it just did not fit me as well as the FNX did. I also did not care for the USP mag release. I just found it awkward to use.

Overall, I think that the FNX a very nice handgun for the money. I found it BNIB for $549 at the Lebanon show from a shop named Haycock Hollow Arms out of Quakertown.
    Last edited by QUADZILLA; April 18th, 2011 at 04:57 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: FNX-40 Review

Awesome! Sigs field strip exactly the same way. Extremely simple. Glad you enjoyed it.

Congrats, sounds like a keeper...
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    Congrats, sounds like a keeper...
    I should give it to you for a "proper" break in...LOL

With my work schedule ad my wife's school schedule, I'm not sure when the next time I'll be able to get to the range!

(Bucks County)

Always liked the look and feel of the FNX's - the safety is a little to easy to "off" IMO for cocked and locked carry.

(Allegheny County)

I recently picked up an FNX-9.

Just put Ameriglo night sights on it.

I really like the gun and being able to reach the safety. It is very well made and fits my hand great.

I've got a Bianchi CarryLok coming for it and already have the Blade Tech SRB holster for it. The SRB is mostly going to be for range use I think since it doesn't sit too tight against my side. I miss my Atomic Dog that I had for the P-07 (now sold and replaced by the FNX).

I carry cocked and locked with the FNX - have not had any issue with inadvertent click off of the safety in the holster.

Edit to add holster information

Note: you can get a Bianchi CarryLok for the FNX.

It is not one specifically for an FNX - to quote from the FN FNX Forum

http://www.fnforum.net/holster-t25141-25.html

It's the Bianchi Model 82 CarryLok
    Size: 14B
    Fits: SPRINGFIELD XD-9, XD-40 (and FNX-9 as you can see and probably FNX-40)
    Plain Black
    Right Hand Part # 23238
    Left Hand Part # 23239

Trussrigger (member at FN Forum) Photobucket picture of FNX in CarryLok

I got the 23238 part number. Fits VERY well. Does not jiggle or rattle. I am not sure if the FNX40 is a little wider in the slide or not.

Center of Mass is making their holsters for the FNP which will fit the FNX.
    Raven Concealement is also making holsters directly for the FNX 9/40 - but none have retention other than friction.

I tried the Safariland ALS 6377 for the Sig Pro2022 (since some have claimed holsters for that gun work for the FNX as well) and it did not work. Gun wouldn't go in far enough to latch. I am debating on trying to modify the trigger guard stop to let the gun go in further. This one has a thumb release.
    Last edited by falcn; April 20th, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Montgomery County)

I'll be trying my new FNX-9 tonight at the range. Words of warning,... Check Your Mags inside and out. 1 of my 3 is peeling inside and I've never loaded the mag or fired the gun. The black chrome coating on the mags looks incredible but their process (or quality control) seems to be lacking. A little bubble inside my mag has grown to cover a substantial portion of the interior surface by just wiping it. The coating clings to everything when it flakes off and the area just keeps spreading. See my thread with pics.

I also noticed on my 17 round mags, the round indicator holes don't really line up real well with the actual casings. You really have to look closely to see exactly how many rounds are loaded. It's not a huge problem for my intended use but it's still strange they couldn't get the sighthole increments correct.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by C5pilot View Post
    I'll be trying my new FNX-9 tonight at the range. Words of warning,... Check Your Mags inside and out. 1 of my 3 is peeling inside and I've never loaded the mag or fired the gun. The black chrome coating on the mags looks incredible but their process (or quality control) seems to be lacking. A little bubble inside my mag has grown to cover a substantial portion of the interior surface by just wiping it. The coating clings to everything when it flakes off and the area just keeps spreading. See my thread with pics.

I also noticed on my 17 round mags, the round indicator holes don't really line up real well with the actual casings. You really have to look closely to see exactly how many rounds are loaded. It's not a huge problem for my intended use but it's still strange they couldn't get the sighthole increments correct.
    Did you post this on the FN forum as well? Someone posted pictures linked to PAFOA post about this issue.

FN should take care of you. I will check mine.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    Did you post this on the FN forum as well? Someone posted pictures linked to PAFOA post about this issue.

FN should take care of you. I will check mine.
    Yeah, that was me. I had to put them on Photobucket so the guys over there could look at them. Not sure why I can't attach pics over there.

I took the FNX-9 to the range and it did pretty well. Had 1 FTF and 1 last round didn't lock the slide but I think both were my fault. I'll know better after I drop some more brass on the floor. Only fired 75-85 rounds.

The mags are very loose fitting. They wiggle around a lot but aren't falling out and they didn't have the locking problem some have had. Last night I could only get 16 rounds loaded. I left them in overnight and still couldn't get the 17th round in tonight until I got home to clean. So the mag springs are loosening up. I could even load some by hand which I couldn't do before. I'll keep 17 loaded tonight and see how it feels tomorrow.

(Dauphin County)

The fnx 40 holds 14 rnds. Never had prob getting all 14 in, although the first couple times the 13th and 14th rnds were really hard to get in. I will usually leave them with 12 rnds in each between range trips and it is a little easier now after 3 weeks loading by hand. I have over 400 rnds through it no FTF or FTE. All the bullets have been UMC 180 grain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast