Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default long distance shooting

i just recently got into long distance shooting i am using a savage model 12 22-250. I kinda got down the elevation part of it, but have no clue how to figure out wind drift. Is there a basic formula for this?

Default Re: long distance shooting

Do you have a smartphone?

I've used shooter for android. I also have one for the iphone. You can use that on the fly or there is a website that you can use to print off and tape to your rifle.

Highest wind I've shot in was 23-25mph w/ big gusts at 500 yards. I love shooting at distance ( 650 is the furthest place I have to shoot)

Here are some vids of my VTR w/ me and some other shooters.
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...BF8C6D56CB3673

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by davidk814 View Post
    i just recently got into long distance shooting i am using a savage model 12 22-250. I kinda got down the elevation part of it, but have no clue how to figure out wind drift. Is there a basic formula for this?
    If you have your ammo chronographed or have a published velocity for factory ammo you can print a table for wind corrections. I'd recommend JBMs on-line ballistic calculators. I've been using it for years.

Of course the real trick to shooting in wind is correctly reading the wind. If you can't do that, all the tables and androids in the world won't save you.

If you're interested, there is a training course available that will almost gaurantee you some windy conditions to shoot in.

(Cambria County)

yes i have chronographed my ammo and i am between 4150fps and 4400fps depending on the load. and i would be interested in that class you are talking about

(Bucks County)

4400 fps in a .22-250?

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by davidk814 View Post
    yes i have chronographed my ammo and i am between 4150fps and 4400fps depending on the load. and i would be interested in that class you are talking about
    PM sent.

enjoy.

(Cambria County)

yes 4400fps using 52gr hornady A-MAX BT using 38.2gr of powder

(Bucks County)

Damn, I have a .22-250 AI with a 26" barrel and I can not get 4400 fps.
    What powder are you using?

Jeff
    Last edited by Pukindog; April 20th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Cambria County)

i will have to get back to you on that one a guy from work loads my ammo have to save up again. i do want to get into reloading next

(Allegheny County)

Here are the basics:

"Reading the wind is the art of estimating the wind speed and direction. By following a few simple observations, you'll be able to compensate for any wind that would affect your bullet when making a shot. You can observe the wind wherever you are and practice your ability to read the wind. It will be easier to apply this when you're shooting after spending some time practicing.

You will be learning how to determine the wind speed, the wind direction and be able to assign a value to the wind. You'll find this useful even on the shooting range.
    To determine wind speed, follow these guidelines:
    - 0 to 3 mph Wind is barely felt, but smoke drifts
    - 3 to 5 mph Wind can be felt lightly on your face
    - 5 to 8 mph Leaves on trees are in constant movement
    - 8 to 12 mph Dust and loose paper are raised
    - 12 to 15 mph Small trees begin to sway
    The direction of the wind is easily detected by flags at a shooting range or competition. In the field, if you have a small handkerchief, it can help you determine the wind direction if you can't feel it clearly.

Next you need to assign a wind value. Visualize a clock face. You face twelve o'clock. Wind from twelve o'clock and six o'clock will have no value, they will not affect the bullet. The same wind from three o'clock and nine o'clock, however will have full value, and you'll need to correct for a strong wind from these directions. Visualizing the clock face, full value will cover from two to four o'clock and from eight to ten o'clock. The areas between twelve and two, four and six, six and eight, and ten and twelve are given half value. These areas may require some compensation on your part if the wind is strong enough.

Now that you know how to evaluate the wind value, let's imagine you're in the field. You ask yourself, "How much is the wind worth?" The wind will affect your bullet through a combination of several factors, like the weight and caliber of the bullet, its ballistic efficiency and the time of its flight.

Let's take a look at an example. If your target is 600 yards away, a 1mph Full Value wind will move your bullet approximately 3 inches off target. At 600 yards, your 3 inches is equal to one-half Minute of Angle (MOA). This is a 1mph constant. So, if you know your wind's value and speed, you can estimate a fairly accurate adjustment.
    Let's try another. The wind is blowing from the right to the left, so you have a right wind. This wind is a Full Value wind from three o'clock (remember our imaginary clock). Your estimation of wind speed is approximately 8mph. If our 1mph constant is .5 MOA, you multiply 8 times .5, giving you a correction of 4 MOA. If the wind were at half value, you would adjust only 2 MOA.

As you can see, a minor adjustment on your part can make a big difference in your accuracy in hitting a target. Practice reading the wind and you'll be able to shoot in many different weather conditions successfully."

Author: Scott Peters

Here's another good article: http://www.ultimatesniper.com/Docs/21.PDF

Last edited by Hawk; April 22nd, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast