Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clinton County)

Default Anti-Muslim threads in the Political Wasteland

Quote Originally Posted by FORUM RULES
    Inflammatory (20 points, Expires in 1 month)
    Think all the world's problems are the fault of an entire [race, religion, etc]? Save it for another forum.
    The constant posting of news articles with titles that refer to the religious faith of the perpetrators in the Political Wasteland is getting to the point where it has far exceeded the boundaries of this rule, in my opinion.

I don't protest to the posting of the articles but it is clear by the thread titles and the content of the commentary that the intent is to blame a religion for problems in the world. This has caused much debate but the arguments and the original postings have become so slanted in their rhetoric that it is creating a hostile environment for anyone that wants to see the religious beliefs of others respected. Thread after thread by a handful of posters referencing the religious faith of people in order to blame that faith as a whole on the actions of a lunatic fringe is unacceptable and it needs to stop.

Don't get me wrong...violence by anyone of any religion is disgusting, but when the rhetoric gets to a point where it encompasses anyone of a particular faith without respecting individual viewpoints it becomes dangerous.

I know what the Bible says and I know what the Koran says and anyone can use a book to excuse themselves for acts of terror and violence. It is necessary to keep a cool head and not let the violence color our opinion to the point where we froth up violence against others indiscriminately based on what they believe. Otherwise we just perpetuate the age old cycle of repetitious atrocities.
    Last edited by t1m0thy; April 18th, 2011 at 01:41 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Anti-Muslim threads in the Political Wasteland

I've stopped feeding the trolls and vultures. The "Political Wasteland" section of the forum should be renamed "Stormfront", except I can actually see specks of intelligence on the Stormfront site.

Al

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Anti-Muslim threads in the Political Wasteland

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    The constant posting of news articles with titles that refer to the religious faith of the perpetrators in the Political Wasteland is getting to the point where it has far exceeded the boundaries of this rule, in my opinion.

I don't protest to the posting of the articles but it is clear by the thread titles and the content of the commentary that the intent is to blame a religion for problems in the world. This has caused much debate but the arguments and the original postings have become so slanted in their rhetoric that it is creating a hostile environment for anyone that wants to see the religious beliefs of others respected. Thread after thread by a handful of posters referencing the religious faith of people in order to blame that faith as a whole on the actions of a lunatic fringe is unacceptable and it needs to stop.

Don't get me wrong...violence by anyone of any religion is disgusting, but when the rhetoric gets to a point where it encompasses anyone of a particular faith without respecting individual viewpoints it becomes dangerous.

I know what the Bible says and I know what the Koran says and anyone can use a book to excuse themselves for acts of terror and violence. It is necessary to keep a cool head and not let the violence color our opinion to the point where we froth up violence against others indiscriminately based on what they believe. Otherwise we just perpetuate the age old cycle of repetitious atrocities.
    In red lies the issue.

Personally, I don't presume to know what anyone is thinking. Some people are simply poor communicators/writers and leave things rather ambiguous. Readers can fill in the gaps with good or bad between the lines. Others likely skirt the rules by making veiled inferences and do have a bias.

The best solution to this problem is to hit the report button and tell us what you're thinking.

It brings patterns to our attention. It would also be helpful to hear why you feel it needed to be reported as we deal with a significant volume of reported posts that are clearly not rule violations from our standpoint.

Good point, but this is a rule/site suggestion issue more than a relevent topic to just the wasteland. Closing this one down.

Lycanthanksthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.